Montbell theramwrapp jacket will I need it next month On the AT?

12:32 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I wanted to ask all of the forum  members who  live in Tennesee and North carolinia if you think. I will need my Montbell theramwrapp for the AT next month.It will be the end of March begining of April? If I could free up some weight that would drop almost 11 oz..My pack is about 26 with food and water now...Any thoughts? Thanks always appreciate the advice...

2:48 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

What is your current clothing, insulation, shell list for your March-April section?

If the jacket is your only heavy mid layer insulation, then I would think leaving it would potentially be a bad idea. I have seen 20F in the middle of May in the Nantahala and Cherokee NFs, and 40F in June and August in the same areas.  Blizzard conditions in March and April are possible. I can just about guarantee you will see temps in the 30-40 range, with rain, sleet, and or dense soaking fog, usually accompanied by fierce wind.

With shelter, sleeping bag, and proper proactive response, even a nasty late winter storm should be survivable without the jacket. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to be in those conditions without good mid-layer insulation. 

3:44 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Hey Denis

I was thinking, what would be the downside of having to retreat to your sleeping bag if, as gonzan suggests, the weather gets ropey?

I imagine that moral would be an important factor in the early stages and I wonder if the ability to remain outside your tent/bag with others, shooting the breeze, is crucial at such times? Warm clothing lets you hang around outside, socializing/bonding, even though it might not be 'technical' for some.

10:20 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

gonzan- I figured you would tell me what to anticipate weather wise in that region..I have light baselayer because I am really warm blooded..From my avator pic Thats what I will be wearing.If colder add Thermawrapp or another fleece.Thats what I was debateing..My hardshell is a MH Conduit silk.

Pathloser- I really didn't think about the social aspect of the trip.To be honest. I actually enjoy hiking at times with other hikers and talking with them. But when I sleep I like solitude and my own space.Thats why I have a tarptent. But your right that does add in to the decision.

Because the both of you brought up the facts that make me say "bring" it.I can bounce it forward at a hostel after it's not needed. I also looked up some issue's of hypiathermia on the trail..Seems majority of the person's it affects are the conditions Gonzan described and if it wasn't for other hikers seeing the signs on the victum. They would be in a world of hurt..Thanks for pointing out good reasons to bring it...

11:06 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Your welcome, Denis. You might end up making it all the way through to summer weather without truly needing it, but I am certain there would at the very least be times when you'll be glad to have it along. I have found when I stop to make camp at the end of a long day of slogging in the rain, fog, or cold it is amazing how fast your metabolism can crash, leaving you exhausted and feeling really cold. The times I have experienced that "crash" have made me acutely aware of how bad a situation could get if you injured an ankle at the end of the day, or just got caught in a nasty storm. In that depleted state the line between hypothermia and relative comfort can be incredibly thin. After all, you always want to be reasonably prepared for the worst conditions you may encounter, and for the unexpected.  

Just my two cents

11:53 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I just looked it up and I notice that it is a synthetic layer (not much Montbell in the UK at all). Perhaps, if you have one of those pillow stuff sacks, the fact that it is less compressible than goose down could be an advantage in making a pillow. I like the Thermarest one, though the silicon cordura is a bit too noisy for my liking, and I no longer resent the volume of synthetic insulation because I know it will be serving two purposes.

I noticed a group of a half-dozen climbers here last week: they had their tents arranged in a circle and they were all sitting outside talking in the evening (no fires allowed, even if you found something to burn). It didn't dawn on me until later why they had all packed and were now wearing their full-on winter duvets; the weather, lately, only requires a heavy fleece etc.

Because our group is normally two, sharing a tent, I never pack for outside temperatures. There is probably a fifth season which should be added to gear, depending on the size of the group: the social season.

There's also the point that if you are backpacking alone, you actually need to take more precautions against exposure/hypothermia, as you won't have someone watching your back. Edit: oh, you said that.

I look forward to your AT reports if you do them. Good luck, Jon.

2:08 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I see it simply.

Would you rather need it and not have it? Or have it and not need it? I know it's a simple idea, and that if you apply it to other stuff it can get crazy.

When I'm outdoors in those temps, I have a layer system that look's like this:

1. Merino wool layer from Mexx. (A little style cant hurt at base camp;)
  2. Marmot power strech mid layer
  3. Marmot leadville Windstopper soft-shell
  4. Marmot Exum jkt
  5. Zonal jkt from MH

That's what I use from november to april. I just change the first layer when warmer temps or summer arrives. But no. 2 to 5 are always with me no matter what season.  I work a system that mixes and matche the aformentionned layer. Sorta like this:

Ice climbing: 1+2+3 while climbing and add 4 or 5 depending on temp.     

Active uphill hiking with wind: 1+3 Usually enough.

You get the idea. In any case hypothermia aint cool and that jacket looks great on you. Case closed in my opinion.

11:57 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Take it along with you! 

Boy Scouts Motto:  "Be Prepared". 

What's a few more ounces of weight?   If in doubt, hit the gym and get back in good shape.   You'll be able to tote waaaay more than extra ounces, and never notice the difference.

Always amazes me how many out-of-shape (and some are FAT) hikers I encounter.

What are / were they thinking?

11:38 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I see it simply.

Would you rather need it and not have it? Or have it and not need it? I know it's a simple idea, and that if you apply it to other stuff it can get crazy.

When I'm outdoors in those temps, I have a layer system that look's like this:

1. Merino wool layer from Mexx. (A little style cant hurt at base camp;)
  2. Marmot power strech mid layer
  3. Marmot leadville Windstopper soft-shell
  4. Marmot Exum jkt
  5. Zonal jkt from MH

That's what I use from november to april. I just change the first layer when warmer temps or summer arrives. But no. 2 to 5 are always with me no matter what season.  I work a system that mixes and matche the aformentionned layer. Sorta like this:

Ice climbing: 1+2+3 while climbing and add 4 or 5 depending on temp.     

Active uphill hiking with wind: 1+3 Usually enough.

You get the idea. In any case hypothermia aint cool and that jacket looks great on you. Case closed in my opinion.

Louis -Alex my friend Loved how you have the system broken down.. of layering..i am going to have to mimic it...Always a pleasure my friend on your advice....

@John Rowe your correct better to have than have not...Glad you joined the memory circus that we are..Welcome!!!!

11:40 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Sorry Robert rowe!!!! I put the wrong first name my appology sir....

7:32 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Sorry Robert rowe!!!! I put the wrong first name my appology sir....

" But ... 'Ya doesn't have to call me 'Shirley' ... "  --  a line (more-or-less) from the movie Airplane.   Spoken by the Leslie Nielsen character.

And YES, I am pleased to be here.  Thanks for the warm welcome.   I appreciate that.   I have learned a great deal, already. 

Have been an avid outdoorsman my entire life.   I don't hunt, though.   A vegetarian for over 35 years.    I seldom  cook when hiking and camping.

I am fortunate in having a large L.L. Bean outlet store nearby.   Have acquired fine gear at very reasonable cost.   I live on Maryland's Eastern Shore, East side of the Chesapeake Bay, and close to the Atlantic Ocean.

r2

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply