Banff National Park.

2:23 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I plan on hiking in Banff national park for a 7 nights at the end of april or start of may. The trail I plan on doing is Mystic Pass – Flint’s Park - Badger Pass trail. Its about 76km long.  I have only done weekend long backcountry camping so far in algonquin.  One of them being in winter. I feel that I am ready to do a week long trip but I would like some advice on some questions I have. 

I have read that it still snows in summer on the trail. How fast will the winds be? will I need to buy campons?

I have to tents. one being msr hubba hubba and the other is the eureka Alpenlite XT. The alpenlite is twice as heavy, so i am wondering at that time of year will the weather call for it or will my MSR tent be fine?

I will be getting the canadian rockies trail guide so I am going to have more details about the trail when that arrives. As of now I think I am going solo but I have posted on MEC of my trip plans. Any friends that I have who would be able to go have done none or very little back country camping so will it be more dangerous to bring them then going solo? The reason that i am going there is a have a credit to a plane ride that i need to use for this summer.

Please let me know of any advice that you can give me, I will appreciate it very much

Justin

7:33 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Well its crazy how fast plans can change. I am no longer doing banff this year. I am now doing the west coast trail. I still would like some advice on banff though as I plan on doing a lot of that type of hiking in the future.

10:11 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

I would not recommend taking first timers on extended hiking trips, especially when your limited experience is all that serves to guide your trip.  Worst case scenarios aside, your greenhorns may suffer unnecessary discomfort, such as chilly nights, blisters from poor fitting footwear, sore backs from over packing, and perhaps temporarily getting lost, all the result of not knowing better.  Nevertheless muling a pack over trail for the first time is arduous enough to leave one questioning their sanity as they lay awake at night on the hard ground.  You really don't know what conditioning is required to backpack on a daily basis, and you companions are likely to be even less prepared.  I am concerned aggravating that experience with a heavy pack and unnecessary mistakes can discourage your buds from giving the hiking gig a second chance.  I suggest instead a car camp trip with your friends, with an overnighter hiking trip thrown in as a more productive venue, given the situation of you and your friends.

Ed

12:33 a.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks for the reply and I think you are right. To get used to the pack I plan on filling it to the max and do some day hikes near by every weekend until I go on my trip. The person I am doing the west coast trail with has a decent amount of experience so i am not to worried. As for the rest of my friends I have decide that ill just take them on weekend adventures. I have been doing car camping since i  was little and now that I have got into back country camping I don't find it the same anymore. I am still very young and along with the beauty I enjoy all the hard work that it takes to go hiking or portaging trips. I also am kinda trying to get my friends to do stuff that doesn't involve getting drunk lol.

1:28 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

.. I also am kinda trying to get my friends to do stuff that doesn't involve getting drunk lol.

What?!! No whiskey on the hiking trips?  Count me out!

Ed

3:39 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Lol only of its good whisky.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply