River to River trail Shawnee National Forest

10:43 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

If anyone is familiar with the area I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 night backpacking trip. Hike all day Sat. Stay Sat night, Hike all day Sunday, Stay Sunday night. Hike out monday (be at car within 4 hours)

I was thinking Garden of the Gods to Eddyville.  Looks like creeks for water near Herod and Little Lust Creek.  Does anyone know if there is overnight parking in Eddyville?

if you recommend something completely different that fits with our trip length please do tell. I've never been here before. I figure I'd like to stick with 10 miles a day give or take.

I'm new to this board. I have been to the BWCA (boundary waters canoe area) more than any other backcountry destination, so if you happen to want to know anything about the BWCA I can likely help out.

thanks in advance

Josh

3:41 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I am bumping this josh so people in  Tennesee see it... Bump

4:03 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Thanks Denis...it's probably not the most popular destination in the grand scheme of things lol. but us illinois folk have to make the best of what we got haha

4:09 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Unless I am mistaken, the Shawnee NF is in southern Illinois. It is a couple hours drive from the TN border. Hopefully somone here has some knowledge on it they can share, though I do not.

4:20 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Sorry I did see it's in ILL Josh after the fact..But it looks like it would be a great park from what I got from USNP.GOV.

4:24 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

hello Gonzan and Denis again,

yes it is in IL. the bump is appreciated either way though Denis haha.  yeah, it looks like a nice time.

I typically do the BWCA every year, but I'm taking along my 90 pound, 1.5 year old German Shepherd this time. He's been on day trips in the canoe and did dang good, but I don't trust him yet not to flip us in those very cold April waters of Minnesota with all or stuff for the week on board...so I'm heading south instead!

1:34 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I find it best just to call the park. The rangers will answer most questions that you have.

10:46 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hope this helps. Go to search and type, back country around Illinois. This is a older forum posting with some answers for you. Even with the ticks we had a great time.

10:06 a.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

thanks awwman! i figured ticks would be a pain down there...oh well ;)

1:31 p.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

and copperheads

12:42 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Here is a link to purchase the River to River Pocket Guide:

http://www.rivertorivertrailguide.com/

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply