Summit Mt Hood Oregon?

5:20 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello I am new to this site. But I am looking for people that have summited and would like to summit with my on Mt Hood. I am in Portland Oregon. I have a rare desease that causes unbearable stomach/colon pain and I am looking to do this for myself and for other people with this desease to inspire them to do more.

Anyways , I was looking for any input or advice anyone has for gear and route to take. I am a roughly 10 vet to snow camping , and have summited many peaks thru the columbia gorge/central oregon. I just want to get that big one off the checklist.

If I posted in the wrong section I apologize. I am a noobie here and just looking to make some great friends. I am surrounded by lazy friends that do not wish to share the fun with me.

Thanks ahead of time and looking to hear from all of you with your valued input.

James 

2:24 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Welcome James!

I'm looking to summit Hood as well.  It just looked too good from Adams last Summer. Unfortunately I don't have experience with that one, or any of its equals (Baker, Jefferson, Glacier, etc).  I am working my way up to that one though.  I have only gone up Adams (not really a climb but its tall). 

Timberline outfitters is a respected guide service if you want to go that route.  I might use them myself in the 2012 season.

I heard that in the last year or so that the "new" route on Hood, which is actually called the "Old' route (if that makes sense) requires two ice tools and maybe a roped belay through the crux of the climb. 

A good place to find partners is www.cascadeclimbers.com

Good luck!  I hope you get there.  Drop us a post from your trip.

8:37 a.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the input. I will research it some more. If I am unable to get a crew to go with me maybe we could join for 2012 season.  I have done plenty of glacier type climbs in the rockies. I hope I have the right gear for the job. I have plenty of crampons and ice axes to choose from , but I am wanting to get some new boots. I am having a tough time deciding which and where to get them.

Are you in the Pacific Northwest? I would like to climb adams and st helens. The gorge has alot of fun hikes too. I am looking to do a same day summit/descent. But will be packing accordingly for that rapid changing weather that is always possible. Thanks for your input and if I go up in may/june I will post a great pics and video of the best parts to share with all.

Cheers.

James

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply