Hiking via Public Transportation

2:17 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Almost all of my backpacking trips have begun with a car ride.  Now that I have ditched the car and rely heavily on public transportation, I was wondering if there are good resources for accessing parks and trails via public transit. 

I am pretty tech savvy and once I find a destination, a bit of searching reveals any nearby bus or train stops.  Ideally, what I am looking for would have all of the trips/trails within walking distance of public transportation.

Anybody know of anything like this?

Does this seem like something a lot of people would use?

10:04 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Bccroney- I think it's a great idea. I know Gary use's his bike to go to trail heads. It keeps him fit and less impact on the enviroment..I looked into it for my trip as well..The ATC website lists access Rail access points at Harpers ferry WV. which I am useing to switch from NOBO to SOBO when I hit there..

1:56 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,136 forum posts

What is NOBO and SOBO?

Many parks have free public transportation or paid shuttles to get you there. Inquire at the different Nat Park websites.

4:45 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

I see you're in PA. If you go to the White Mtns. in NH, the AMC runs a shuttle service that stops at many trailheads, with endpoints in Lincoln and North Conway -- both should be accessible by bus. Note that there is a link above the map to another page about public and other transport alternatives (a rideshare board, for example). 

1:20 a.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

What is NOBO and SOBO?

Many parks have free public transportation or paid shuttles to get you there. Inquire at the different Nat Park websites.

Gary NOBO-is Northbound from Springer Mountain GA Starting this way till WV.

SOBO- is Southbound from Katahdin Mountain Maine.. I am  just leap frogging to Maine from WV the halfway point.  Then seeing the trail the oppisite direction cause of where I live..

5:10 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

Yes - there is a great trail right there in the middle of Harpers Ferry.  Plan to arrive during the week.  Then, you can catch a MARC train to DC for perhaps 8$.  It's a commuter train, and leaves pretty early in the morning.  It's not a bad walk from the Hostel to the station.  Probably about 1 hour.  On the weekends, it's an AMTRAK train and the same ride costs around 3 times as much!

10:23 a.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I am sure there are others, but Yosemite is accessible by daily bus from Fresno and I think Glacier is accessible by Amtrak.

7:19 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewforum.php?f=16

This link gives you pretty much what is available to the Sierra.  There is some but expecially on the east side of the Sierra you may have to wait a day or so for the right bus.

Getting back to my car that is waayyy over there from where I ended up has always been a successful and generally stress free couple of hitch hikes.

4:34 p.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

We just published an article on this excellent topic:

Get to your hike by bus, train, or bike

Thanks for bringing it up.

1:46 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Awesome.  Thanks for the responses and yes I saw, great article, you guys did a great job expanding the topic as well.  I have been meaning to get to Harpers Ferry for a couple years now.  I use to drive through there for work, gorgeous area, a shame I haven't been yet. 

I hope to get out west before too long as well!

5:46 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Thanks, bccroney. I'm glad you brought up the topic. It's a good one and relevant to more people than we may realize.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply