Live in Chicago, hike where?

7:43 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hi Everyone,

New to the site!!! Glad I found all of you.  Any additional recommendations on Midwest hiking?  I live in Chicago and am willing to drive 12-16 hours to a trail head.  I want to spend 5 days/4 nights out. Near here I have been to Pictured rocks and Algonquin Provincial park.  I am thinking about the Ozarks and looking for feedback.

Look forward to meeting some of you,

Bob

8:23 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Bob, welcome to Trailspace. I am not familiar with that area but I am sure someone will chime in. The members on the site are very diversified, knowledgeable, and quite helpful. Just wanted to welcome ya to the site.

8:12 a.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks Rick!  I'm excited to get some input and real excited for my next hike!

2:58 p.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Go up to the UP. Lake Superior is great.

7:19 a.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've been to pictured rocks National Lakeshore.  Any other recs?  Also just started looking at Superior National Forest in Minnesota.  Grand Marais?

4:41 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Whats up Bob,

I'm a chicago resident as well (see screen name lol)

for day hikes...it's pretty lame. there are some forest preserves that are better than others but basically all flat, easy, and boring. I have dogs so i go anyway. if you want specific places i like for day hikes let me know and ill provide details.

Devils Lake WI, has a decent trail with many rock scrambling/bouldering options. Govener Dodge state park in WI has plenty of miles of trails, they pass by lakes and a few small waterfalls.

I canoe in the Superior National Forest (BWCA) and you can certain hike there as well. I normally enter the park near ELY (a closer drive), but have heard the Grand Marais area is just as beautiful.

I'm going on a overnight backpacking trip down in the Shawnee National Forest (very southern tip of IL). I've never been, but the River to River trail is 160 miles. (connects the Mississippie to the ohio river). I can give you feedback on that when i get back early May

4:48 p.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

oh wow!!! there is a Grand Marias in Michigan too....

I was refering to the Minnesota one, you should switch it up and rent the canoe too man. and bring your fishing gear. We eat like kings out there.

1:29 p.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Check out the OZARKTRAIL website many miles of trails running just outside of saint louis all the way to the arkansas highlands. Also some good day hikes in Shawnee Nat'l forest in southern IL, much more technical than up north you have garden of the gods area also in shawnee if you like climbing and hiking

7:18 p.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Welcome Bob! Love the dog-pic.

I'd hike the Willis Tower.  I'd set up my high camp at about floor sixty, maybe use a port-a-ledge and clip in.  Then summit and downclimb on day two. 

Sorry, had to.  I'd head to Canada. 

10:22 p.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Awesome! Let me know how Shawnee turns out.  I decided next trip to the Smokies although Algonquin provincial park keeps calling.  Tell me more about Devils lake when you get a chance.

Ever been to Isle Royale National Park?

What do you do in the city for fun?

10:23 p.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Haha... Yes Canada is wonderful.  I make it up there at least 1-2 times a year.

9:53 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Lake of the clouds/Porcupine Mountains in the U.P (Michigan).  Best in the Fall.

5:29 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

+1 to what ChicagoJosh and Dawner said...I'd add Zion beach, on the North Shore, and Starved Rock, in Utica.

5:30 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Midewin Tallgrass Prairie is a cool place too, especially if you know your native grasses.

Also, The Morton Arboretum, in Lisle, is a really cool place to walk around. Miles and miles of trails in there...

8:25 a.m. on June 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

there is the north country trail thst reaches from pa to north dakota goes north thru lower michigan then west across mi upper penn there is a web site they have where you can get section maps the northern section and the up section can be remote and the country is great to look at. my son and i are going to do a few sections of it this summer.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply