Planning a Northern North Western Adventure.

3:54 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Howdy ya'll! I am planning on taking a ~40 day trip to the B-E-A-UTIFUL mountains of the north western United States from June to late July, 2011.  I am an avid backpacker here in the mountains of Western NC.

If anyone has any ideas, tips or previous experience pertaining to backpacking in this area I would gladly appreciate hearing it! 

Also, if there is any recommended literature on the trails and national parks in the region I would appreciate hearing some feedback on these as well!

So far, my research has focused on Glacier National Park, for geological significance and beauty.

I appreciate any and all feedback and opinions.

9:03 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I live in Montana so I applaud your decision for Glacier Park.  Make sure you check on availability of backcountry campsites when plotting your route through there.  If you are planning to spend your entire trip in one destination I would recomend spending at least a week in Glacier and then head south across highway 2 into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area.  That area is so vast that you could easily spend weeks on end traveling the trails and not see the entire area.  There is an excellent book out by Falcon Guide, Hiking Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness, it has almost all of the trails listed with descriptions of each.  I spent two weeks there last summer and was alone darn near the entire two weeks.  The great thing about the Bob is that you do not need a permit for the backcountry, just go as you wish and see where it leads you.  I would actually recomend starting out in the Bob and working north to Glacier in July since we have seen a huge amount of snow this winter some trails in the park will probably be hard to access in June.  The elevation in the Bob is a bit lower than Glacier and will probably be cleared out for the most part.  Hope this helps, I must say that I absolutely love the solitude of the Bob and would recomend it to anyone looking to get away.

4:49 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Yeah, I've been all over the northwest and the Bob takes it for solitude and raw wilderness.  You can go lots of miles without seeing anyone if that's what you're into.  The Chinese wall, North wall, Danaher valley, South fork of the Flathead River, North & South Fork of the Sun River, White River are all really scenic.  I live in Missoula, MT so the Bob is pretty close.  I have been hiking there for five years on weekends and vacations and still haven't put a dent in it.  The National Parks will feel like zoo's after you've been there.  Beware, river and stream crossings can be pretty narley in early June. 

12:38 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Sounds like a great trip.  Very interested to hear how it works out and what you find to be the best resources for information.   Also pictures.

9:46 a.m. on May 10, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

In Washington (the state, I always have to clarify) I prefer the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.  The book "100 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes" is a goog guide to the area.  This is a TR from the area:  http://www.trailspace.com/people/fromsagetosnow/photos/?page=5

This TR is from Mt Adams, a few hours from the Alpine Lakes: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/74542.html#74542 Lots of diversity in the area from mossy meadows to rocky, snow-capped crags.  From the Alpine Lakes you can drive two hours and be in sage and shrub-steppe like this: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/90241.html#90241

Really, you can see a lot of cool and different types of country in WA.  If you are interested in more specifics, PM me. 

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply