Damascus Hike

8:49 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello all,

I'm new to the backpacking scene and would like to take a trip with some friends on the AT trail.  I want to start in Damascus and head north on the AT, hit Mt. Rogers, then continue on up the AT trail.  We only have about 4 or 5 days in which we can do this in early June, but we are just looking for a fun trip.

Several questions. First of all, is there a site on which I can actually plot out the distances between rest stops? Secondly, how far is reasonable for a day?  We are quite athletic people, as most of us run cross country in college or are otherwise active.  Finally, is resupplying necessary for a trip of this duration/how should we best resupply?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

10:53 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Bdp2  Welcome to trailspace!!!!

First I have to ask..you say your new to backpakcing thats great..Do you know what the 10 essentials are? Do you have them as well..I ask this because I wouldn't want anything to happen to your next cross country season...Next how many people in your group? I ask this because you could split gear between you for that trip...Also do you have a water filtering system? Alot of untreated water on The AT.  From Damascus to Mt Rogers is 28 miles total..With being runners in college you could knock that out quick to be honest...if you look at the avator picture thats Mcfee's knob on  the trail Bdp2...if you like I have the At guide for this year and if you email me.I would be glad to scan it for you and send you a copy of that section and more of Virgina. It shows the resupply points and numbers for shuttles and  other useful info.It has  the trail elevation profile...My email you just log in and click the avator....

3:49 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank you very much for the quick response, and sorry about the late response.... things got very busy school-wise!!!  Also, I couldn't find how to email you, feel a little foolish about that...

Anyways, I know about the 10 essentials, and have most of them between us (will need to get a map).  There will be 4-6 of us on the trip, some are unsure about summer jobs/classes as of now.  We do not have a water filtering system, no.  Mcfee's Knob looks great.  We will definitely do more than Mt. Rogers, that's just the one main thing that we want to hit.  A copy of that section would be incredible, and would go a long way for us.

Thank you very much, we appreciate it!

10:40 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

bdp2- hey sorry myself I am actually on the AT right now. But that part of my guide is at my house and my cousin can access it for you and send a pdf to you..Just login and look at my profile. It should list my email..if not send me a Private message since Dave just made it a new feature. Put your email adress and I will have it sent to you..I believe you will like the Highlands and remember thats all up hill. Breakdown and purchase a waterfilter system your going to need it..

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply