need some ideas for hikes

9:14 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Im looking for some trip ideas. I live around amarillo, tx, so im wanting to backpack in north, or west texas, new mexico, colorado, areas like that....im pretty new to this area, and back packing as a hobby, so im looking for some good back country trips from 10 to 40 miles.....im new to back packing as a hobby like i said, but after four years in the 82nd airborne, im quite used to long trips with a heavy pack......any ideas? I am new to all this, so i would most likley be by myself on these trips.

9:39 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Hey Texas Trekker

Welcome to trailspace.!!

have you thought of the longtrail down in Houston? The Lonestar trail is about 90 miles..How about Big Bend? I'v done that. But you have to hit it before july..

9:44 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Texas:

No. 1 welcome to Trailspace. I'd like to suggest also introduce yourself in the beginners forum so all the members can welcome you in. I'd also like to know what kind of gear you'd be carrying. I was in the Army myself and you can see some big differences between civilian gear and carrying a ruck.

I was stationed out at Fort Bliss and the best place in the world in West Texas is Big Bend. Be sure to check it out. There's a cool little town there called Alpine where you can spend some time at. Other than that, there's just a whole lot of awesome hiking and adventure in the outdoors.

Some other areas that may not be too big of a drive for you would be to check out the area around Ruidoso, New Mexico. If memory serves right, the highway from Amarillo almost goes straight there. I visited that area several times and also Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Beautiful mountains and if you hit Apache Mountain, it's about 10,000 feet elevation.

Sadly, I can't tell you much about hiking in this area. I'll do some research and check it out. Looking back, I wished I had hiked this area more. But, I was 19 and more interested in partying and chicks.

But welcome to the board!

9:50 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Here you go. Found something in Ruidoso. Check out the Lincoln National Forest.

http://www.ruidoso.net/visitors/outdoors/hiking.html

10:57 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

T Trekker- here is the Lonstar trail hiking clubs website it also has topo's of the trail and the guide one of the members created. www.lshtclub.com

If your thinking of Big Bend thats carrying alot of water and do it before the Texas summer hit's..I know someone who did it last month..I can point you to another area of info for that as well....

11:48 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Thanks guys. Yeah, i was down in elpaso for i while workin on a ranch north of there a couple years ago, living up in the franklin mountains.....ive been throught the ruidoso area a few times, its definitley on my list....my in laws live up around angel fire right out side santa fe nat. forest, so i might try and plan some trips up that way for this summer....big bend might be closer to winter! Rocklion, im packin a basic kit right now, not carrying more than i really need...i like external frame packs myself so im using a kelty right now......i carry a eureka tetragon 5 tent, and still use my army ecws sleeping bag, just using the patrol bag and the gortex bivy cover right now as warm as it is....sleeping pad, msr dragonfly, boiling pot/cup, 100 oz camel back, water filter, and uco candle lantern make up my kit, plus dehydrated food, and all the little odds and ends i carry like spare candles and reflectors, hygiene items, hand trowel, bug spray, gerber multi tool and hatchet, 550 cord, extra matches/ lighters, compass, headlamp and batteries, a bottle of iodine tabs, sewing kit and first aid kit......it comes out to about 35 to 40 lbs and i can make pretty good time with it. Lol nothin like carrying 80lb ruck!

7:34 a.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Well sounds like you got your gear setup. As you get more into this, you'll start reading more and more about equipment you covet and want to try out. You might want to check out some more sleeping bags at some point. You can get much warmer bags that weigh a hell of a lot less.

I was looking at a map last night and saw how close Amarillo was to northern New Mexico and Colorado. That opens a whole other can of worms. I can't help you on that. Sadly, never got to those parts. But there should be some on here who can help.

11:11 p.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

The Sangre de Cristo Mountains run from Santa Fe, NM to Salida, CO. There are a lot of good trails in the Santa Fe National Forest in NM and the Pike San Isabel National Forest in CO. Check out the National Forest Service website for info on trails and other conditions.

http://www.fs.fed.us/

10:03 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Head south 15 to 20 minutes down 27 and hit Palo Duro Canyon.

Palo Duro Canyon Pics

Be sure and post your thoughts when you get back!

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply