Mosquito Lakes = Mosquitoes?

6:21 p.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Does Mosquito Lakes particularly bear their names end of June/early July...?

12:09 a.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

I have been there in September and in early July.  In September there was not a single mosquito to be found.  In early July it was an entirely different story, Mosquito Lakes lived up to their name.

That being said, you would be hard pressed to find any location in the higher elevations in the Sierras that does not have a serious mosquito presence in late June/early July.  No matter where you go, plan on seeing plenty of them.

2:50 a.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

I'm sure some poor soul had an experience in past history and decided the lake should be named after the critters that tormented him. 

I've had use of a head net (about an ounce) a few times.  Mainly just keeps them physically rather than mentally and emotionally away.  Even with DEET there seems to be a few kamakazi that end up in your mouth, up a nostril or swimming in your coffee.  The head net fits over a brimmed hat and covers your face and even your shoulders.  Very effective.

You will find the Sierra skeeters quite a bit smaller than the midwestern and eastern ones.  Less agressive usually and easy to swat. .

Bugs are just part of the experience and easily handled with some proper technique such as camping away from water in a breeze and restricting or modifying your activity when they are more active (sundown/up).

Every once in awhile you may come upon a local swarm of them.  Pop open the DEET for a fresh application on exposed flesh (including on your clothing - especially shoulders). 

Unless you have an unhealthy fear of them or very paranoid about them, they are only a minor nuisance easily handled.

7:09 a.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

There are actually two or three Mosquito Lakes in the Sierras, and a couple more in Northern California.  Which one are you talking about? 

It is not true all of the Sierras are bug ridden in early season; there are plenty of locations higher up that are windswept sufficiently to make bugs a minimal nuisance.

I usually sleep in the open, under a small tent-like netting.  The bugs can’t get to me, but their buzz is a form of psychological warfare, causing me to waken and wonder if I am under attack.  Thus I have taken to sleeping with ear plugs when the bugs are an issue.

Ed

2:53 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Mosquitos are need to feed the fish. Ask a fly fisherman. Be careful with DEET. It will stain/ruin many synthetic fabrics to include your backpack and what your wearing. Spray only on skin.

5:35 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

There are actually two or three Mosquito Lakes in the Sierras, and a couple more in Northern California.  Which one are you talking about? 

I'm sorry I was talking about the 6 Mosquito Lakes in Mineral King (SEKI)

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply