Mineral King: Mosquito Lakes to Eagle Lake end of June

8:54 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Instead of backpacking back and forth to Mosquito Lakes, is it possible after camping one night at Lake #3 to go over Miners Ridge down to Eagle Lake (camp there and return to trailhead) aroung July 1...?

Maybe it is too steep...?

Thanks 

11:53 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Looking at the map, it doesn’t look too steep (approx 600/mile), but the ridge line crossed may be a razor back with an un-scalable head wall.

I noted in an earlier post you were considering a trip with your GF.  This cross country over a ridge is not a wise choice for a first timer, male or female.  Get them hooked on something easy, then let their ambition dictate how much they want to bite off later. JMO

Ed

12:52 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Looking at the map, it doesn’t look too steep (approx 600/mile), but the ridge line crossed may be a razor back with an un-scalable head wall.

I noted in an earlier post you were considering a trip with your GF.  This cross country over a ridge is not a wise choice for a first timer, male or female. 

You are right, but looking on a topo map I seems to be less steep just east of south end of Lake #3.  There is the unknown snow conditions as well.

We want to camp 2 nights and only 4 miles each way (The 3 teens would certainly find that tame) make me wondering what we would do on Day 2, so changing site was an idea...

4:12 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

You are right, but looking on a topo map It seems to be less steep just east of south end of Lake #3.  There is the unknown snow conditions as well.

We want to camp 2 nights and only 4 miles each way (The 3 teens would certainly find that tame) make me wondering what we would do on Day 2, so changing site was an idea...

My estimate is based in the route you describe here.  The problem is a ten foot ledge extending the length of the ridge will make this impassible, but such obstacles are invisible on the map, given the 50' contours.  Only a first person observation can determine if this route can be completed. 

As for the teens, your second camp site is just over the hill, perhaps a one hour jaunt at most (if the ridge is passable) as a day hike.  I know as a teen I would rather base camp and day hike to such close locations, than break camp, mule a load up over a ridge - cross country at that - then re-establish a new camp.  I am sure your wife would feel the same way too.  Also do not underestimate the allure of fishing to a young teenager, if there are fish they can burn a lot of time chasing trout on the nearby lakes. 

Ed

2:39 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

From the area just above the third lake, it looked like an easy route to the top of Miner's Ridge.  I do not know if the other side is passable.  As has been noted, all it takes is a single 10 foot ledge to ruin that plan.  Here is a view of the approach to the ridge from the third lake:

100_0684.jpg

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply