Southwest Florida

9:09 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Im going on vacation with the family in mid may to sanibel island florida which is just off-shore from Ft. Myers, i want to Hike and camp on a "deserted island" i have a Kayak and will be taking my backpacking gear, i know there isnt going to be any real deserted island but does anyone know of any relatively close islands where you could kayak to and set up camp in that area, maybe a state park where i dont have to camp in a designated "campground" with 30 other people around, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

12:22 p.m. on May 6, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

look into Cumberland Island National Seashore. Has everything you want - except it is located in Georgia...about 30 miles north of Jacksonville.

Everything around Sanibel is gonna be swarming with tourists - especially at this time of year.

Ed G

Clermont, Fl

11:37 p.m. on May 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

You might want to check out Sebastian, FL. You can camp on some of the islands there, I'm not sure if you can kayak to them but you can rent pontoon boats and get dropped off.

10:16 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

I live in Florida for many years and I have yet to find or hear of any deserted island, specially at this time of the year, however; we are filled with waterways, probably we have more waterways than roads in Florida.  If you want to kayak and experience solitude by camping next to a river or stream this is the place to go.  Hopefully I haven't replied too late and you have changed your plans already, let me know how it went!

5:33 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

sanibel is nice but WAY overpriced. I would reccomend Cayo Costa State park, it is an island right above Sanibel. you take a ferry there or you can kyak. it is cheap to camp and the sunset on the beach there is awesone. also it is one of the best beaches in the world for shell collecting. have fun wherever you end up going :o)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100314819745521.2967222.2018827&l=e849573cd5

6:46 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I found this section of forum quite informative. Besides, I think, before booking for anything in the Snaibel, you should ask for quotations from several service providers, and compare the relative price. And also ask for the stuff they facilitate, so that you will come with as light luggage as possible. Have a great vacation. 

9:44 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

We paid $780 for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo on bowmans beach in sanibel. Very nice place and well worth the price. I didnt like the fact that anytime you left sanibel and came back you had to pay a $6 toll. I also didnt like the fact that you had to drive an hour to get anywhere. I did however love the beach, the ocean and most definately the sunsets. I did camp one night on the beach in front of our condo which may have well been a deserted island. There was noone there and as long as i looked north towards captiva i seen nothing man made, and the only things to the south were a couple of beach homes. There is no commercial property north of the wildlife refuge so its kind of nice.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply