About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hiking Mount Marcy end of April

8:55 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hello, 

I plan on hiking Mt Marcy via the Van Hoevenberg trail on Sat. April 29th. Wanted to find out if anyone has been on the trail recently and has any update on trail conditions. I am guessing there will be a foot or more of snow on the summit, but how many miles do I typically need to hike with snowshoes during this time of the year? trying to figure out how long it might take to hike up. Any help or info on current trail conditions is much appreciated. 

Cheers!

9:52 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Last time I hiked Marcy was in 1996 while I was working for the Adirondack Hiking Club near its base. Unless they have improved the old trail since then its a pretty steep hike. Was designed for horses and mules before hiking became popular. Took me about 5 hours in June, was no snow then.

12:41 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

The only problem I can see with your upcoming hike is that you'll be hiking outside of the space-time continuum...

:-)

Friday is the 29th, Saturday is the 30th.

I couldn't resist.

3:25 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Hey RedKatt, I love beer too. My town is home to the Bischoff Brewery. Of course, it is real beer-not the water down version we Americans make. Iclimb-I bet it is the beer that has her outside of the space-time continuum. Wink Wink.

ReddKatt I hope you enjoy your hike.

4:52 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

I hope you enjoy it too, please give us a trip report if it suits you!

4:36 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks for the info Gary!

iClimb, guess I was just planning on hiking at warp speed ;) Well, the real problem (for me) for the weekend hike now is the unstable trail conditions due to the strom and stuff they had over the past few days. DEC is dsicouraging folks from hiking this weekend. Apparently it's not just the trails that are damaged in the Adirondacks -

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/adirondack_towns_tallying_up_c.html

D-Dog, we americans do make some real beer as well, to start with right in my state -- Victory Brewing Company :)

Have to wait for another couple of weeks to enjoy this hike!

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply