Smoky Mtn.

1:33 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

On our way to Florida in mid may we will be driving to Gatlinburg TN and im looking for any advice or ideas on a relatively easy day hike since my 6 year old son and 10 year old daughter will be going with us, looking for a trail with good views of wildlife, waterfalls or just breathtaking views. Any advice would be great since this is my first time going there.

1:13 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

There are quite a few little or easy day hike trails in and around Gatlinburg, TN. Cades Cove is not too far away for a scenic drive and various trails off the pavement. Lots of wildlife there too. 

Alum Cave, Little River, Clingman's Dome (paved), Sugarland's Valley Nature Trail, et.

Lots of smaller day hiking trails all around Gatlinburg.

1:31 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Cades Cove is beautiful, but between April and August the ride through there will be bumper-to-bumper for 2+ hours. Last time I drove through with friends back in July of 1998 it took nearly four hours.

There are a wealth of views, drives, and trails in the Cherokee and Nanatahala National Forests that equal those in the GSMNP, but without the headache of tons of people. My personal favorite areas are the Citico Wilderness in TN, and the Slick Rock Wilderness in NC. The Cherohala skyway is an amazingly beautiful drive from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. There are tons of trails off of the skyway, included short hikes to stunning balds up at around 6000ft.

This shot is from the top of Huckleberry Knob, a natural bald just over the TN border in NC, and is a leisurely 1.75 hike from the road.
DSC_6108.jpg

9:58 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

awesome thanks guys

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply