Grand Mesa traverse...

2:01 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

About 36 miles, from the Kannah Creek Trailhead, up and over, ending at Vega Lodge (Vega Reservoir). 10,000-ish feet of elevation change. My plan is to do it in a single, long day, but, if there's no interest in such an endeavor from you all, I'll just do that solo, and then plan for that distance again, here with you all, as a weekend. In other words, if you're not a masochist, we can still have fun. I can go there just about any weekend I want to. We'd be on hiking trails and cross-country ski trails almost the whole time, with maybe a mile or two on asphalt.

If we wait until June or July we could largely avoid the snow at the top, and the temps will be more temperate, which should make packs lighter. Water is plentiful, so you should not need to carry much.

For those interested, the day hike would take around 16 hours. After shuttling cars, plan to leave the Kannah Creek trailhead just before dawn, around 6:00, arriving at Vega Lodge near the ten-o-clock hour, post-meridian.

What say you?

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply