About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New to Sectional Hiking AT

12:08 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

This is not by any means my first hike or camping trip, however this is the my first sectional hike of the AT.  I am not in as good of shape as years ago, and work a lot seven days a week, so finding time to strength train is left to adding a dictionary to my back pack, and taking stairs vs. elevators.  we don't leave for another month and a 1/2, and will be gone about two weeks in hopes to do 100-120 miles (length of a park), and i began last week an all raw diet + fish and soaked beans which has been going mostly great; losing weight already.  I don't have specific questions since i'm still doing research and looking at books, but what sort of advice do would you give an out of shape new long distance hiker?

8:22 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts
9:50 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

lkrog001  Like speacock says in that thread MikeMarrow posted you that is the best way to train...I would add bumping your training up 15 days before you depart and fill your pack to atleast 15 pds and hike early in the morning and follow up at night with what your presently doing..The harder the training you do prior. The easier the hike..( 5P"s)  I figure at what your planning on average if it's only 7 days for 100 miles thats 14 miles a day. 1.5 mph pace is easy but add the terrain and their maybe a time because of lightning etc you may have to pickup your pace to get to a shelter...Best training is with a pack and working your leg's and muscles in the motion your going to use them..Have a great section hike. I hope this gives you an idea...

10:35 a.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Denis good tips, I especially liked the "formula 1.5/mph etc... " good stuff

12:10 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

goingforahike...I see by your picture that you and your boy's have been to macfee's knob!! It was on a hike to Macfee that my friends and I calculated our pace with weight and speed..So from there...What I listed was how I trained for my thru hike. Iam actually on and trained with a 40 pd pack..Some day's are a faster pace some slower depending upon how I feel and want to see along the trail..You obviously have been to the area I had trained at...

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply