Advice on Car Parking / Shuttle for AT section to Elk Park

8:03 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

Hello all,

I'm looking to do a long weekend section of AT probably from Iron Mountain Gap in TN to hwy 19E / Elk Park TN. The primary objective is to see the Roan Highlands, my choice of points to start and finish is arbitrary and changable.

Could I safley leave a car anywhere near hwy 19E? If so any tips on getting shuttled South to start?

Any suggestions are welcome....

Thanks,

Patrick

10:11 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

Hey Patman

Two options for parking and shuttle...

1) greasy creek gap- greasy crrek Friendly hostel has a shuttle.parking is 2 a night. 828-688-9948

2) mountain harbor B/B hostel- Roan mountains- 5 a day parking or 2 with shuttle..866-772-9494

I came off Roan and hit greasy creek...

I hope this helps you...have a great section hike..

12:54 p.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

Thanks Denis....I'll check those out.

If you don't mind me asking...where are you now and how are you getting on-line so often while thru-hiking???

1:34 p.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

patman- right now in OHIO visiting family. My niece graduated college this weeekend with honor's in Litature and Media...I need to add some weight back and mend a toe nail for a couple day's..

When you hit towns or hiker hostels you usally have a computer for use by thru hikers.But with so many hikers sectioning etc.It's hard to be on long because you know the next person  needs a turn.Also public libraries as long as you can  make the hours..My case I check in with FB and email.I use my companies server thats secure...Alot of hikers are updateing thru email their trail journals to friends or website's. I just checked in this weekend with friends on Whiteblaze...

Also it's about 2 dollars per mile for a shuttle..Gas price's...

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply