Sheltowee Trace

8:50 p.m. on July 10, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I have hiked several sections of the trace and am looking forward to finishing it.  i have enjoyed the majority of it (alot of road hiking being the major drawback) but have noticed alot of negativity concerning the trail from people here in KY.  was wondering if anyone has had some experiences or thoughts, good or bad, they would like to share.

6:59 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

chris I never knew about this trail..I just did a scan on my phone. I checked out a google map of it. It kind of sounds a little like the Discovery trail and LoneStar trail in Houston. You mind posting some pictures? I have family in Bowling Green and Corbin Ky. Regardless of what others are saying if your enjoying it. Have a blast.....

7:18 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Chris,

I've hiked just a small portion of the ST (where it's part of the Rock Creek Loop in Big South Fork), but what I saw was great. My section was all in TN (I connected to it from the Pickett State Park Hidden Passage trail actually), so I can't speak to what the trail is like in KY but I do see a lot of gravel roads along that route on the map. I choose to avoid that general area in the heat of summer since there are no high elevation sections to cool off with and the gnats are ferocious. However for winter and late fall hiking it’s a prime area. Also, there aren’t many springs along that section, so creek water is usually the only choice.

PS Be sure to bring bug spray to keep the ticks at bay, you'll be glad you did.

9:06 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
t
hese pics are from Big South Fork and the Red River Gorge.  the trail runs through both places.

9:07 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Actually i live about 30 minutes from Corbin.

9:32 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Oh OK, then you already know about the weather and bugs and such...

I'm in Knoxville and I go to BSF quite a bit. It's really a great place to go to escape crowded trails. And I love the open camping policy.

9:56 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I really enjoy BSF.  you're right about escaping the crowds. did you see the episode of Dual Survival they filmed there?

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

10:28 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

yeah, I saw the Kentucky episode but I didn't realize that was in BSF. very cool...I'll have to rewatch it and see if I can determine where they were exactly.Those guys are good tv IMO.

10:39 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

yeah they're very entertaining, though i'm not sure about going barefoot though.

4:57 p.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Thanks chris I think I will text my brother to checkout this thread. I am thinking this fall he and I can hit that. He can basecamp because of health issue's and resupply me at spots..that would work and he can test some of his gear he got. way cool for shareing this...

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply