3 day trip in CO -- need ideas on location (THIS YEAR SPECIFIC -- still lots of snow -- any trip reports from this year?)

11:38 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I'm planning on a neighborhood backpacking trip for about 8 guys to take place 7/22-24. We were planning on going into the Flat Tops Wilderness to hike around the Chinese Wall and Devil's Causeway area, but a call to the ranger station in that district confirms there is still a ton of snow (6' base at the bottom of the Wall).

This year's July is last year's May!

Due to the experience and equipment level of the trip, I'm trying to avoid snow. So other loops hikes we were looking at in the Collegiate Peaks area, etc. are also likely out.

I know that parts of Indian Peaks, Rawahs, and Lost Creek Wilderness are lower elevation, but a couple of us have spent so much time in these wilderness areas, we're looking at getting somewhere new.

Perhaps getting down into the Sangre de Cristo's or something we would see less snow...

So, ideally:

1) Drive time of about 4 hours or less one way (from Denver/Boulder area).

2) Really picky, but we like loop hikes. Please post non-loop hikes anyway, but... just a mild preference.

3) Avoid snow as much as possible. Most people just have pretty standard three season sleeping bags; this is not meant to be a winter expedition.

4) Not more than about 25 miles or so.

Are there any backpackers out on trails already this year that have some recommendations? Thanks!

3:20 a.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

you might check http://www.backpacker.com/ and other forums that have areas covered for back packing.

The ROCKY MOUNTAIN forum is pretty good there.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply