Finding a Hiking Buddy

3:21 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hello,

My problem is trying to find a partner(s) for hiking trips. My husband still works..poor guy. He kindly allows me the freedom to hike and this year I've begun to backpack. I love it, but have only been able to go for one night each time with the friends I have. Thus far, none of them are able to plan for 1 or 2 week trips, something I'd like to do. Any ideas?

4:08 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey QueenBee, welcome to Trailspace. I have ran into the same prob so I have been solo 99% of the time. Plus I like the colder temps and trying to drag people out has been a tedious task at best.

8:33 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm sooo tempted to do the same, but there's been some assaults on women on a few of the trails so that is the one thing my husband has asked me not do to anymore.

8:36 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thats a shame. Things like that burn me up.

9:29 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Hi QueenBee, I live in the chattanooga area too, so hello neighbor :)

I hadn't heard about those attack in the area, where did those happen?

I don't think I have any direct solutions for finding hiking partners, I myself am locked into a 8-5, M-F corporate job right now as well. I would look into the Chattanooga Hiking Club or some of the other outdoor groups and clubs, there are bunch here in the Chattavegas area.

9:30 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I'll drop you a note sometime when I am going on a group day hike with that would be conducive, if you like. 

10:41 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

Are there any youth hostels in your area? Often many people staying at them are looking to go hiking with others who know the area. Also maybe post something under activity partners on your local Craigslist?

2:42 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

There is a new REALLY nice Outdoor sports hostel in Chattanooga. I mean this place is amazing.  Here is an article about it as well as a link to the website-

http://www.footsloggers.com/the-crash-pad-hostel-in-chattanooga-welcomes-climbers.html

http://www.crashpadchattanooga.com/

4:13 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks guys. Yes, Gonzan, drop me a note. My email is jennicj46@yahoo.com.  I do hike with the Chattanooga Hiking Club. I also have a blog: www.trailchronicles.blogspot.com/

Just got in within the last hour from an overnight backpack to Grayson Highlands. Wow...loved it. However, that Wilburn Ridge Trail was a tad bit dangerous in the rain/wind! However, my husband I enjoyed the ponies, saw deer jumping, and were treated to awesome views today on the way out. Too much fog/mist yesterday on the way in, but a great hike. I'll be blogging it soon.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply