Topo maps

11:03 a.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I was looking at the National Geographic waterproof paper to print out some Topp maps of California, but I feel the map is a little small.  I would like to know if anyone has used Mytopo web site to print out larger maps. I have the National Geographic State Topo for California and Colorado which I'm happy with just looking for bigger Topo map.

Thanks for any information.

12:37 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

If I need a larger map i save it  and then email it to someplace like fedex/kinkos and have them print it. Then i just treat the paper. Sometimes they have the tyvek type paper to print on which is awesome stuff.

12:40 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

You just have to tell them the size to print. Normally when i do this it is too much of a pain to send them the topo file due to software conflicts. So What I do is download the pdf quad from the usgs.gov site, overlay my route etc on it, re save it as the pdf file and then email it to them and request them to print it 'actual size'.

8:03 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thanks I will check them out.

11:16 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I recently purchased the TOPO! maps for California.  I'm glad I got it from REI, because it's going back.  It was fun to play with, but not very practical, really.

7:32 a.m. on July 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

Jim, in case you do not know. There is a new program called TOPO! Explorer. It's a online download for free. since you've already bought the topo CA you will automatically be given those maps. If you need a different superquad(4 regular usgs topo map sections) then each one is 1$.

You also have access to all of the natgeo trails illustraited tracks/routes which are nice to overlay on a map and print. Plus all of the tracks etc members post.

It's worth checking out before you return topo CA. I use topo explorer to make my maps now.

However, you could just as easily get by just downloading topo maps from usgs.gov for free. It really comes down to if you want all the extra features of a mapping program.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply