Mt. Whitney

2:09 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am trying to hike from Crescent Meadow to Mt. Whitney next summer (2012) but since I just graduated from college my funds are limited.  I know that renting a car from Bakersfield and having someone drive it to the Whitney Portal is not the cheapest option so I was wondering if anyone was planning a similar trip and if an extra seat was available.  I was planning on flying into Bakersfield on the 1st of July and hiking out of the Whitney Portal on the 8th or the 9th but I am super flexible.  I'd even be happy to help pay for gas.

I know Thoreau wrote that, "he who travels fastest travels alone" but I think in this case I'd really appreciate a ride.  I'd be happy to discuss options if you have any.

Thanks guys.

Chris

12:24 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Bakersfield is on the wrong side of the Sierra. You'd be better off flying into LAX or Ontario, CA and finding cheap transportation to Lone Pine, CA.

3:00 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

You can take a bus from LA or Bakersfield and get off and on in Lone Pine. I think you might have to change busses in Mojave. Catching a ride from the hostel in Lone Pine or hitching a ride to the portal shouldn't be too hard.

1:17 a.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

Guys, he has the right side of the sierras for his route, starting at Crescent Meadow on the west side.

You can fly into Bakersfield or Fresno, with Fresno being a little closer.  I wish I were going, but my little vacation time next year will be a loop that includes Cloud Canyon, Kaweah Basin, and the western third of the High Sierra Trail - maybe I'll meet you on that section.

Also ask on a couple other forums - the forum at the Whitney Portal Store mjessage board

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1 

and highsierratopix -

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=957461c50a179210fd6017c0d598d41a

Both of those sites are full of people who make similar trips, and you have a good chance of finding someone who is planning a trip on the High Sierra Trail who can take you along.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply