Mount Langley trip

12:00 a.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Video of trip last weekend (Sept. 17, 2011) to top of Mt. Langley. This was the first successful 14K peak for my myself, my younger brother and for my 13-year-old son.

Ended up being a great weekend, with a climb just challenging enough to make it feel like you did something. Views were phenomenal, fairly uncrowded and friendly folks.

All around a great starter and an inspiration to get in better shape for next season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3g2a8UgX6k

4:57 a.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Cottonwood Lakes are one of the finest destinations in the entire Sierra.  Last time I did Langleywas in the mid 1990s, as an early April ski trip.  A very long walk-in approach was required as the access road was still gated, just above Owens Valley, requiring three days to reach the lakes.  The road was covered with snow higher up, from the point where it cuts into Cottonwood Canyon.  This would provide a good return route.  As it is, the best winter approach up to the lakes is to start the ascent right of the road at the point the canyon opens up again, and gradually gain elevation until leveling out in the lake basin.  Some of the lakes were thawing and provided spectacular reflections of the still mostly winter bound surroundings. 

We climbed Old Army Pass with axes and crampons.  The mesa on top was scrubbed clean of snow by the wind, so we left our skis there and continued on to the top.  By the time we got back to Old Army Pass, however, we were too crapped out to ski down, and had to down climb back to camp :(  We spent the next couple of days doing whisky tours, sking to the various lakes in the basin, and a day ski up Cottonwood Pass.  The ski home was sheer joy, mostly cruising gentle traversing descents, and kick gliding down the road until the snow ran out.

Ed

10:36 a.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

awesome looking trip

9:41 p.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
112 forum posts

"buncha old grey-headed people," huh?  I resemble that remark!!!

You guys look like you had a great time.  Thanks for taking the video; fabulous!

8:48 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Well, the bitter truth is that most of the "grey-headed" folks had already passed us on the way to basecamp.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply