Possum Creek, Cumberland Trail

8:49 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I headed to the Possum Creek section of the Cumberland Trail in Tennessee today for a short day hike and to take in the fall colors. After days of sun, it was partly cloudy and I didn't get the lighting like we've had but any day in the woods is a good day.

I headed in and within a hundred yards found a small waterfall.

IMG_0002.jpg

I took a few pics, moved on and went down some rock stairs then came across a wooden bridge.

IMG_0006.jpg

The colors were popping in some areas, especially every now and then when the light would come out. As is always the case, my photos never come out as good as what I saw. But then maybe that's a good thing. Just another reason to keep me coming back.

This area is extremely neat. Besides being called Possum Creek, I've also heard it called Three Gorges because you go in and out of three different canyons. I just discovered this trail about a month ago and its quickly becoming my favorite around the immediate Chattanooga area. There's just a lot of different biology I haven't seen except in the South Cumberland State Park.

Here's a nice pic of a little creek off a bridge.

IMG_0012.jpg

Got a nice pic of the bridge as well.

IMG_0011.jpg

I finally hit my destination point. An old railroad or road bed that runs through the middle of the woods. Was hoping I would get one of those picture perfect fall photos with hardwoods lined across the road. Well, not exactly, you get what Mother Nature gives you. But it was still beautiful seeing those golden trees.

IMG_0014.jpg

Then I finally headed out and got a pic of me at the little waterfall at the entrance.

IMG_0021.jpg

This is just a precursor. Heading out for an overnighter this weekend up at Savage Gulf and staying in Hobbs Cabin. There's supposed to be rain tomorrow. Hope it doesn't blow all the leaves off the trees.

9:15 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Ah, nice hike, Rocklion, I haven't been to that section yet. I guess I will have to remedy that soon :)

9:27 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

You haven't?

You were the one person here I thought was going to school me on it. :-P

Yeah, definitely get up there. Give me a shout and I'll head up there with you. Just a hop, skip and a jump from my house.

7:23 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

Nicely done! And good to see you are maintaining the fine East Tennessee representation on Trailspace. J  It’s good to live in the land of the backpacker ain’t it?

11:18 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Excellent pictures.  I'm going to have to quit looking here. My list of places to hike is gettin' long.

11:20 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Love that falls picture, great story report!

6:24 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Most excellent, I haven't been there either I'm pretty sure.

I would love to do the entire Cumberland Trail some day.

I'm glad you got to get out and enjoy nature.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply