A dayhike in Ohiopyle(11-6-2011)

2:20 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I was lucky to find out that the injury I sustained with my knee is not a full blown tear... No surgery. As long as I am careful I should be fine. This gave me the idea to get the wife up to Ohiopyle to do a little dayhiking and see the scenery. The weather was around 68 degrees.  

She said she could just sit here all day and listen to the water. Its such a nice break from the hustle, bustle, and noise of downtown Pittsburgh.
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-001.jpg

A shot up the river from where we decided to have lunch.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-002.jpg

The below photo is of the same area. The 1st bridge ya see is the bike trail. 
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-007.jpg

I really didn't want to push the "flailing limb" too much. Its still sore so we stayed away from any technical terrain. It was odd. There are usually alot of people up here but it was pretty quiet. If you look at the parking lot across the river in the shot below you will see that there are only a few vehicles. The weather was beautiful.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-003.jpg

There are 3 different types of tree fossils that are embedded in the rocks up there as you can see one in the photo below.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-004.jpg

The wife snagged up a photo of me & my "flailing limb."

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-005.jpg

A few shots of the river. 

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-006.jpg
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-008.jpg
The baby Osprey(Stratos 26) basking in the sun. I am going to fire out a review on this daypack shortly. 

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-013.jpg

I think she was down a bit because the sign wouldn't let her out in the water "beyond this point." I wish people would pay more attention to these signs. 

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-015.jpg

So we then decided to head up too lookout point.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-027.jpg
Queen of the mountain lol.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-016.jpg

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-019.jpg

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-020.jpg
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-021.jpg

Train tracks in the valley below.
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-022.jpg

A few more shots.

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-023.jpg
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-024.jpg
Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-026.jpg

At this point and time she was really wanting to hit one of the local wineries before they closed so that pretty much ended the trip. 

It was a great trip. Very peaceful. I think we both needed it. She is actually planning our next trip up there as I put this together. She wants to do a weekend. 

The winery was pretty cool. She snagged up a few bottles of her favorite wine and I found a bottle of my favorite hot sauce. If ya see me on the trail this is always in my pack. I will be more than happy to share(as long as ya sign the necessary release forms.) 

Pain-100-001.jpg

Anywho, thanks alot for taking a look. 

Happy hiking-Rick

5:44 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Great post, and photos...thanks for sharing!!!

10:00 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nice, Rick. I'm glad you are able to get out and do some hiking! 

It is really amazing how similar the landscape in your photos is to the here around Chattanooga.

I haven't seen that hot sauce before. I am a nut for good hot sauce, too :)

1:59 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice TR Rick,

Glad to hear the injury is'nt as bad as you first thought. Always nice to get away on a day hike, makes the next week doable.

Never seen that sauce before either. I think hot sauces are getting to be a regional thing, some ya only find around home.

Great pics Thanx for sharing

6:58 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

Glad to hear the "good"  news on the knee.

Drinks, hot sauce and hiking- seems like a pretty perfect day to me!

7:43 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

Looks like a fun trip Rick!

I must have missed the knee thing; hiking injury?

7:54 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I think I was on those same trails last year. I remember seeing or hearing Ohiopyle.

All I know is my wife's family is from Connellsville, PA just below Pitt. We were up there for about four days last year, the fam started driving me crazy, I asked where the hell the closest wilderness was and they gave me a bunch of directions.

I took them and I'm pretty sure that's where I ended up.

Just took a quick look at the map. Yeah, that is where I ended up hiking that day. Was a beautiful area. I had a lot of fun there.

But it was a bit weird for me going in. Apparently you get to the state forest and in the middle of the state forest is a cool little old railroad town. It was just strange to me a bit because down south here in my neck of the woods the towns and the forests are a bit more segregated. I'm sure the forest came after the town, but it almost had a feel that the town and the state forest were like one and the same, if that makes sense. The town has apparently latched onto marketing itself as the outdoor place up there.

And the terrain was a bit different. It was like combining the Cumberlands and the Smokies at the same time. Plateaus that were long, but not as rocky as the Cumberlands.

When I asked my relatives up there at first about hiking, they looked at me strangely and started telling me about where they hunt and go "quadding." I was like what the hell is quadding? Found out that's what they call four wheelin' up there. lol

Next time I'm up that ways we should hook up Rick.

10:49 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

This looked like a fun day with the lil' Mrs.! god to get out and stretch the knee. glad to see you braced it up too! GREAT pics of a part of the country to which I have never been. THANKS!

1:09 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Rocklion said:

I think I was on those same trails last year. I remember seeing or hearing Ohiopyle.

All I know is my wife's family is from Connellsville, PA just below Pitt. We were up there for about four days last year, the fam started driving me crazy, I asked where the hell the closest wilderness was and they gave me a bunch of directions.

I took them and I'm pretty sure that's where I ended up.

Just took a quick look at the map. Yeah, that is where I ended up hiking that day. Was a beautiful area. I had a lot of fun there.

But it was a bit weird for me going in. Apparently you get to the state forest and in the middle of the state forest is a cool little old railroad town. It was just strange to me a bit because down south here in my neck of the woods the towns and the forests are a bit more segregated. I'm sure the forest came after the town, but it almost had a feel that the town and the state forest were like one and the same, if that makes sense. The town has apparently latched onto marketing itself as the outdoor place up there.

And the terrain was a bit different. It was like combining the Cumberlands and the Smokies at the same time. Plateaus that were long, but not as rocky as the Cumberlands.

When I asked my relatives up there at first about hiking, they looked at me strangely and started telling me about where they hunt and go "quadding." I was like what the hell is quadding? Found out that's what they call four wheelin' up there. lol

Next time I'm up that ways we should hook up Rick.

Ohiopyle is definitely a little town. I have actually considered relocating up there. Most of the businesses up there are primarily based on outfitting, etc.

They also have a few small variety shops as well. Just a quaint little town(although for its size I think "village" is more suitable. 

Ahhhh quadding. Yeah thats the reference to getting on the atv and getting lost somewhere in the hills. 

Just give me a heads up on when the next time you are coming up this way and we can figure something out. I would definitely be up for that. 

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply