VIDEO - Calico Tanks at Red Rock Canyon's Sandstone Quarry

12:02 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Just a little video to get a feel for the Red Rock Canyon if you are not familiar. It shows a bit of the hike to Calico Tanks in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. The trail-head is at Sandstone Quarry, which is the third turnout on the 14 mile loop inside Red Rock Canyon. It is a 2.5 mile hike that culminates with a view back of the whole city. I did not include the view in the video...if you want that, you'll have to do the hike!

6:28 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

I love the music background. Make me think of Wyoming and the cowboy shows in Jackson Hole!

Where is this Red Rock Canyon?

6:59 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

It is just outside Las Vegas. You see the strip from the top of this hike. My friends that visit are shocked to see the wonder of the land outside the Naked City!

8:21 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

That was cool!

Thanks for letting us tag along so to speak.

I liked the music and the scenery.

A Michelob put in my freezer for exactly 34 minutes is what I'm having now.

Cheers, Mike G.

8:41 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks, Mike....I just found a nice little 8% Wild Blueberry beer!

9:29 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Great senery.  It looks like a nice hike.  I would have done it in flip flops, but then I would have fallen!  Ha, ha.....

9:43 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

HA! The flip flops are more problematic on the rocks near the trail-head. People just run up them (tourists who really have no experience hiking etc. Often church groups are out there in their church cloths running up and down the sandstone....small unsupervised kids.) People get stuck up on the rocks, fall etc. I still have work to do to get the video more smooooooooth!

10:34 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

Arson said:  I would have done it in flip flops, but then I would have fallen!  Ha, ha.....

I met a guy in the Grand Canyon once deep in the backcountry hiking in flip-flop sandals. I hike in lightweight running shoes, but flip-flops!  I can't imagine how he can do that with a heavy laden pack. Said he had been doing it for years. And he was about 70 years old!

12:10 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Arson said:  I would have done it in flip flops, but then I would have fallen!  Ha, ha.....

I met a guy in the Grand Canyon once deep in the backcountry hiking in flip-flop sandals. I hike in lightweight running shoes, but flip-flops!  I can't imagine how he can do that with a heavy laden pack. Said he had been doing it for years. And he was about 70 years old!

Clearly had well conditioned feet. Not like my tender-dog feet that I have to baby to get to carry me around! Lots of teh 20 somethigns here wear the flip flops ont eh approach hikes to go climbing. Some of the approaches are pretty diverse....trail, scrambling, dirt, stickers, rocks.......I could not do it.

5:03 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Great TR!

After freezing my fingers numb at Vantage (Frenchman Coulee) Friday trying to climb, Red Rocks sounds almost worth the drive.  Lucky for you you are so close!

7:14 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I spent a lot of time at Vantage over the years....alas, it was before my climbing days and my fingers merely froze wrapped around an icy cold beverage! I did, however, bike Vantage to Whiskey Dick in 100 plus weather one year for a relay team in teh Whiskey Dick Triathelon! Sage, you are welcome any time. Bring down a friend or two and hole up at the Doll House and head out from there!

10:57 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Oh that IS tempting. 

I just need a job that offers way more $$ and a ton more vacation and I'll be there.

11:35 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

There is always poll dancing...a big consideration...work nights, make big money, hike and climb all day, lots of time off!

5:47 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Very cool...Nicely done !

Thanks for sharing the trip....

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply