Off the grid.WAAAY off the grid.

3:13 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I do have a GREAT excuse!  Some of you might remember me posting (a couple of years ago) my plans to move to a "ghost town" by the name of Butedale, on Princess Royal Island, British Columbia, Canada. Well, I did it, and t was great. Not so great was what happened at about my eleventh month there. Abscessed wisdom tooth. It took two trips to town... (70 miles by boat) and WAAAY too much money, but the tooth is fine now. What's not so fine is that I had spent most of the money I had saved for the winter months when travel to town (Kitimat, BC) is very difficult, if not downright suicidal. One of the channels that I have to take is called Devastation Channel. (Aptly named.) Anyhoo, In July I had come to the very disappointing realization that I wasn't gonna be able to afford to stay the winter on my very own private 1000 square mile island. So, while I was in Kitimat, I called a friend of mine whom I had met first at Butedale, and who told me to give him a shout if ever I was in Kitimat. So, being in Kitimat without a job, or much of a place to stay, (camperette)  I called him and told him my sob story. Turns out, he was just back in town for one day, for the first time in months. It also turned out that the only reason that he was in town was to try and find someone who wanted to work for him at his placer mine. Now, like, what are the odds of THAT. Of course I jumped at the chance to go gold mining. (Old school gold mining. As in pick, shovel, pry-bar, sluice and pan.) So, we spent the next few month clearing almost three miles of trail through slide alder along a long abandoned logging road, then building a 30 foot bridge across the creek and hauling all the gear to the claim. Naturally the first major snow dump dropped on the area the day after we got all of the gear to the claim, so we couldn't get any serious mining done and had to pack it up for this year. WHAT a frustration! Believe you me! Anyhoo, the last year and a half I've been as "off the grid" as it is possible to be, and now that I'm back in so called "civilization" I hate it! Too noisy, too smelly, too much going on. I miss my mountains!!! ...And my ocean, my lakes, my rivers, creeks, and waterfalls. However, I did take a bunch of pictures, and made a bunch of videos (of Butedale) and I look at / watch them every day or so. (I know, I'm just making thing worse, but I miss the wild SO bad.) Annnywaaays, I'm in "civilization" again, so I thought that I might share a super condensed version of the last 18 months, and also share my favorite video with you too. It's one of the ones that I made of Butedale, and I think that you might enjoy watching it almost as much as I do. So, here we go folks, my pictures from my (almost) year in Butedale. 

http://youtu.be/X8TH9dyf4xE

Also, here is a link to all of my pics of the Butedale area.

http://community.webshots.com/user/TJCeeJay?vhost=community

Righty then, thanx for bearing with me through my rambling, and I hope you enjoy the scenery!

Later all!

Cory

9:16 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,510 forum posts

You are one of the richest men in the world. [fill in the rest with speechless and breathtaking.]

9:43 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Breathtaking. I hope your dream doesnt end here.

9:58 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

Very nicely made slide video. Did you make that in Movie maker?  Very beautiful scenery!!!

2:23 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Very nicely made slide video. Did you make that in Movie maker?  Very beautiful scenery!!!

Thank you everyone! And yup! Made the video with Windows Live Movie Maker. And yup again, the scenery out there is incomparable. I imagine everyone can understand my devastation at having to leave it behind because of a sore tooth. However, it did give me a chance to try my hand at gold mining in the Douglas Creek area North of Terrace BC, where the scenery is nearly as spectacular. (Barring the lack of an ocean.) And since I promised my bud that I'd help him out next year with the mine it'll probably be around eighteen months before I can make a (hopefully) permanent return to Butedale.  (A "town" with a population of ONE on an otherwise entirely uninhabited 1000 sq. mile island.) Gosh! That STILL makes me giddy! Anyhoo, thanx again everyone, and I'll be uploading some pics of the claim area shortly, and I'll be sure to let y'all know when I do. No ocean, but the area is still pretty darn pretty.

Cheers! 

Cory

4:03 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,510 forum posts

PNW/BC....nothing beats it  for sheer beauty, IMHO.

4:20 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Awesome photos. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Greatly appreciated.

4:33 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

WOW. BC is beautiful no question about that. So my only question is...did you ever think about just digging that tooth out yourself to allow more time there? Just kidding.......(kinda).

5:29 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

Very cool.  Sounds like manly paradise!

I hope the gold mining goes well.  I hear it can be rather addicting.

6:10 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Very good to hear from you TJCeeJay, it sounds like you have had quite an interesting adventure and life experience.

I enjoyed the slide show it was fantastic.

1:42 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

Sounds like a love-affair to me:  first you get your teeth knocked out, then you go broke and have to take a job digging ditches, and, in the end, you miss her bad when she's gone!  ;)

Thanks for great stuff and well done, Cory

7:01 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Thanx again everyone! Well, I finally got around to uploading the pics from the claim, and here they are...

View from the camp.

Claim-Camp-View.jpg

Falls at the camp.

Claim-Falls.jpg

Falls near claim
Claim-Falls-02.jpg

Another falls near the claim.
Claim-Tall-Falls-01.jpg

Mountains around the claim.

Claim-Pyramid-Mountain.jpg

Claim-Mountain.jpg

Claim-Mountain-02.jpg

Claim-Mountain-03.jpg

Claim-Mountain-04.jpg

Claim-Cliff.jpg

Claim Valley
Claim-Valley.jpg

Claim GOLD.
Claim-Gold.jpg

Well, that's all the pics of any quality that I have from the claim. I've taken thousands more, but most didn't turn out because I'm using my buddy's camera (inferior) since I forgot the charger for my camera in Butedale. (Anyone got a charger for an old Sony Cybershot 10.1 MP w/4x optical zoom that they don't need anymore?)  :-))

Anyhoo, thanx again, (again) for all your support for my lil' adventures, and I'll be sure to let y'all know what happens next. 

Later all!

Cory

3:48 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Cory I am so Jelous!!  You look like you are having one hell of a life!  Hope you make it back to the island soon.  God how I envy you.  :)

Good luck with the gold and keep safe. 

I just went through the webshots and WOW!  What a really cool area!

Wolfman

5:37 p.m. on December 10, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Getting away from it.

Nothing better.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply