making the most of a work lull - Eastern Kentucky

6:29 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

in Prestonsburg Kentucky for a few days.  sun/clouds today, low to mid 50s.  the witness prep i planned today went short, so i took a few hours to walk a trail at nearby Jenny Wiley State Park.  the trail i chose (the eponymous Jenny Wiley trail) is, according to the park website, a "strenuous backpacking trail, enjoy totally immersing yourself in the appalachian terrain, not recommended for solo hikers." 

we can debate this description.  i was solo today but felt perfectly safe.  it is within a state park and never more than a mile or so from a paved road.  the hills and hollows in Appalachia have some nice ups and downs, and i worked up a little bit of a sweat - but not much.  i didn't have time to walk a 9 miles out and back, so i went about an hour out and turned around.  i didn't have my gps, but i am guessing i went somewhere between 5 and 7 miles. 

i didn't bring some of the things i normally do; while i had trail shoes and appropriate clothing, i didn't have a pack.  carried a store-bought bottle of water and a pair of gloves in my fleece jacket pocket.  when i heated up enough to walk in a wool t-shirt, i had to tie the fleece sleeves together and carry it over my neck/shoulder, not ideal but workable. 

this time of year, the leaves are down and covering the trail.  this one must not be getting much use recently, based on the lack of trampling and spider webs i kept walking through.  mud slides are something of an issue in this region, so portions of the trail were muddy or had slightly iffy footing.  one section of the trail was totally blocked by a slide and the deadfall, looked to be at least a year old.  some parts were fairly flat, others, the trail either switchbacks up and down or runs across fairly steep slopes - wouldn't want to lose your footing, or you're likely to tumble and eventually hit a tree. 

a nice and unexpected break from the normal hustle of work.   

wiley-1.jpg

6:54 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Pretty cool to take advantage of work travel! Do you normally travel with the trail shoes?

8:03 a.m. on January 27, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

i pretty much always bring clothing & footwear so i can walk an hour in the morning or evening.  

9:27 a.m. on January 27, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nice, it's always nice to get a bit of unexpected outdoor time in. 

My brother, who just joined trailspace, will be heading out to phoenix in Feb and is planning in some time to spend a night or two out in the AZ landscape :)

1:15 a.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

i pretty much always bring clothing & footwear so i can walk an hour in the morning or evening.  

It has taken me too long to learn to include identifying accessible natural places in ordinary, even short trip plans.  there is ALWAYS a chance, like yours, to escape to the wild, however briefly, if i'm aware of what's available and remember to bring my trail shoes.  Great idea.

6:13 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

That's cool, you gotta sneak trips in when you can sometimes!

I keep a fully stocked pack in my truck all the time.

9:00 a.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I hiked in several Kentucky State Parks, recently. Including this very same one (Jenny Wiley).

While I was having lunch at the famous, historic "Boone Tavern" restaurant, inn ...  in Berea, a tornado siren began to wail, and all of the patrons were ushered to a basement shelter.

Another "unexpected adventure" for r2,

~ r2 ~

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply