Blue Ridge Railroad

6:31 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

My wife and I hiked the Blue Ridge Railroad trail yesterday, 6.8 miles in and out. Some nice views of the mountain, but no wild life. Fished the Chattooga River today for 4 hours. Caught 7 Rainbows, two over 15", will make a good dinner.

9:03 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Excellent Mike,

I was thinking about you the other day, I wish I had more free time to head up your way and fish some.

I used to do several trips to the SC / NC state line each year to camp, hike, and fish.

I am currently working 6 days a week and I'm going crazy.

I have not hiked the Blue Ridge Railroad Trail, is it alongside a working railroad, or just an old rail bed?

Rainbows over 15" are a good catch for that area, you did good..are you using a rod you built?

Mike G.

10:38 a.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

NICE! I like the railroad hikes. they are always nice for some reason!

3:23 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

This was a project started in 1856, a railroad from Charleston to Cincinnati. The Civil War stopped the project I think.  All it is now are the remains of several tunnels in Stumphouse Mountain.  There is a nice trail to hike, not sure just how far it goes, but this is the most we have hiked. It startes at Issaqueena Falls ( that is another story by itself) and heads north. You can see huge rock piles where they cut through the mountain. Trout, would be nice to met you and do some fishing. I have used my bamboo rods, but I have them in the Chattooga Fly Shop on display right now.

3:39 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

So is this the railroad bed or the actual railroad tracks?

I once followed the Grand Canyon Railroad tracks from the Grand Canyon south to Tusayan about 10 miles south of the canyon. Been in use since 1009. About every mile I found old tarsh dumps that I believe were where the men building the tracks in the early 1900's took breaks or camped. I found many early 1900 artifacts like whiskey bottles ( all broken) evaporated milk cans (most opened with a churchkey can opener) and tobacco tins, amounst other things. Did you find any old trash like this? I think I must have been one of the first persons to follow the tracks other than the daily trains, since the tracks were laid 100 years ago. I did this in 1999. They still use a steam locomotive in the summer, from Williams to the South Rim Depot and back.

I have alos followed a lot of Rails to Trails routes around the USA. The longest was called the Elroy/Sparta Trail in Wisconsin. It was 64 miles long (I think) that was in 1983 during a bicycle tour from Wyoming to New York. It went thru 3 tunnels with the longest one being about a mile.

Another one I followed goes from Lander WY to Thermopolis WY over 32 miles. The tracks on "Rails to Trails" have been removed and the railroad beds are paved and the tressles (bridges) are planked so that cyclists, runners and walkers can follow the tracks.

Some day I hope to follw the tracks from Willams to the South Rim, or at least to Tusayan AZ, a distance of about 100 miles?

6:58 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gary, it's just the roadbed. There is a railcar up at the first tunnel, and you can walk back pretty far through that tunnel.  Lot's of bats, the other two are not open for people to go into. They just look like holes in the ground, but you can see where they cut and drilled the rock.  So, no there are no tracks and I didn't look for any old stuff. One side drops off into a deep valley, with heavy overgrowth. The other side goes straight up.

8:54 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

We have a rail path that has six tunnels over to Hoover Dam. I have done the five k in it. I love the view of Lake Mead. They do night time ones too!

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply