Frenchman Coulee, again

6:31 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,234 forum posts

Saturday weather lent its self better to skiing than climbing so we hit the local ski hill and got the younger two girls up on skis for the first time.  With 6" of fresh wet snow it made for a good day to learn; soft and slow.

02182012694.jpg

Sunday broke with halleluja sunshine and a text from my new climbing partner that we ought to go hit the rocks.  Whats a guy to do?  We spent an anxious hour in church praying for the weather to hold and the rocks to warm up, sprinted home and took off to Frenchman Coulee.  I only took the older boy, his big sis being grounded (She did not like being left behind I am here to say).

Our targetted climb; Party in Your Pants 5.8, was just getting cleared when we arrived and I set up my toprope and tossed my perfectly flaked rope down, only to get it swept off-route by the wind.  We got that sorted out and I walked down and around to the start.

I made the first run and to stemmed and jammed my way to the top.  This is a longer climb with only six to eight feet of rope on the ground with the middle mark at the anchor chains.  I didn't set any speed reccords. 

Next the partner sent it in much better style and finally the eleven year old crushed it. 

2012-02-19_14-18-13_314.jpg

"Am I half way yet?"

2012-02-19_14-33-51_545.jpg

My son is the little white dot 2/3 of the way up.  I'm in the brown shirt belaying.

Picture quality deteriorated with uploading.

Any time the kids climb is a good day.

The next two pics are from three weeks earlier; NOT a good climbing day.

01282012668.jpg

Frozen waterfall, no I don't climb these.   Yet?

01282012665.jpg

The pillars in the distance are just like what we were climbing yesterday.

Cheers!

11:22 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

very cool, Sage. 

I wish I had the time to get into climbing, maybe someday after I have reached some career and life goals. 

12:34 a.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

That looks fun...but isn't the rock cold even in the sun?

7:18 a.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

That is awesome. How fun and cool it must be for the kids when someone asks them at school, "what did you do over the weekend?"

11:11 a.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
3,426 reviewer rep
1,234 forum posts

Gab, I hate cold fingers as much as the next guy but as long as the sun is shining, the South-facing basalt its warm enough to climb.  Being a black rock it heats up nicely.  In June you have to climb earlier or later in that spot b/c its too hot there.  There are shaded climbs at the Coulee though so its a pretty ideal place to climb.  The air temp that day was about 40 F.

My new climbing partner is going to Vegas next month (didn't invite me).  I'm trying to get him to go to R Rocks.  Can I refer him your way?

11:16 a.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
3,426 reviewer rep
1,234 forum posts

Pat: Its funny, my son's school friends are all motorsports kids, they never believe him about his climbing so he takes pictures to class.  I'm prety sure he doesn't brag but I know that they think he is odd for climbing. 

9:45 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Nice to see people getting out with their kids.  Going out with youngest (9yo) on March 2nd or 3rd for an overnight.

11:17 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Yes, refer him my way......I am leaving late next month for Nepal but have him look me up. Tell me his level of climbing I can get people together to go.

If I get to washington this fall, I want to go to French Man and go limb.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply