Just Checking in from Dingbouche, Nepal

5:14 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Hey all....sitting at 14 plus k in an internet cafe and a blizzard outside. Jut wanted to say hey and let you know it is going well. Spot is a bit spotty. I have had no symptoms of Altitude and even have a few pics in my Trail Space Hat. Gotta run!

7:13 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Now where on earth did she have to run to in the middle of a blizzard? Not enough time to upload even one pic?

9:52 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

So glad to hear it's going well, Gift! 

Haha! I guess a Bumble crashed the party before she could post the photos ;)

10:26 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,386 forum posts

Hmmm, multiple threads on Gifto's trek. I have been posting the updates from her SPOT over on the thread in Trip Planning, where she started reporting on the trip.

5:12 a.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Sorry, Bill S. Coudn't find it feel free to lock this. At Gorek Shep now. Dropped iPhone in squat taoilet so al the fun check ins are over for me. :( 17k is the altitude and am doing ok!

9:40 a.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sorry to hear your iphone took the plunge. Great to hear all is going well for ya. Have an awesome time out there.

12:20 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,095 forum posts

Sorry about your phone..Been trying to follow along on your trip.Hope your haveing a fantastic time..

12:22 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Read your latest post(yak post on Whelan Trek.) Hope things get easier for ya.

9:31 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Don't let her fool you. She's probably sitting on the beach in Cabo, sipping a margarita.

9:33 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tom D said:

Don't let her fool you. She's probably sitting on the beach in Cabo, sipping a magarita.

With a yak and a Sherpa name Ted. :)

11:11 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Now you're talking. I think she's got a blog up somewhere. Sounds like a great trip.

12:06 a.m. on April 7, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Your Kicken It Karen!!  Sorry Big Sis!! :)  Great Trail Name, you are going to have to keep it you know, regardless of how much weight you lose. :)

As for eating, I hope you get some of your apatite back, god knows your burning up that body really fast.  Try to snack as you hike, start small and just keep snacking.  Little bit at a time will help a lot with your energy level.  I hope your drinking a lot, you need to be drinking a lot, that will help too.  
I know all about the not hungry feeling, every time I have a really hard hike or start out a long hike, I usually don't feel like eating, to dang tired.  But it helps a lot if you can snack during the day.

Hope you get a chance to read it.  Oh, and to bad about the phone. :(

Wolfman

9:14 p.m. on April 7, 2012 (EDT)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,386 forum posts

Since Karen dropped her iPhone in the poop hole, she can't send on the spot (bad pun) location updates with the Spot Connect (requires an iOS or Android device, depending on the version - she has the iOS version). However, she is sending some wifi updates when stopping in the villages. She was at Gorek Shep yesterday and maybe at Everest Base Camp today.

Some little Sherpa girl fished the iPhone out of the poop, and it now is in a ziplock bag, to be handed over to Apple techs on return to the US in hopes it can be revived (possible, maybe, since iPhones are iPx-7, so can be dunked briefly in water 30 min to 5 or 10 feet). She gave the little girl 100 rupees, which is quite a sum for that part of the world, but a lot less than I would require - yuk! Wonder what US Customs and Dept of Agriculture will say on her return?

Anyway, she also reports low appetite (at 17,000 ft). This is actually common ("altitude anorexia"), and is a part of altitude sickness. She has not reported any headache, so it is not actually AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness), and far short of HACE or HAPE. Until you get thoroughly acclimatized, most people do have some loss of appetite. Overall, it sounds like she is doing very well, far better than some of her fellow trekkers.

I myself adjust to altitude pretty well. Here was a typical meal at altitude 16,500 ft) for me in the Cordillera Blanca (Peru) last summer:
IMG_0962.jpg
I don't eat a lot anyway, so this would be a big meal for me at sea level.

5:52 p.m. on April 8, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

She made it to base camp today!!  (whenever today is)  She is hanging in there but the last day really tired her out! 

Read her last post here! 

I worry about her lack of eating and what it's doing to her body, other then loosing some weight.   Bill, any thoughts on this?  It seems that the lack of eating could take a toll on her, but I don't really know. 

Wolfman

8:46 p.m. on April 8, 2012 (EDT)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,386 forum posts

As I mentioned, the loss of appetite is "altitude anorexia" and is pretty common in people going to altitude. It is brought on by low oxygen saturation (she mentions low SpOx). The lack of energy is due to not getting enough calories. I posted on the blog that a big bowl of hot soup with each meal (especially supper) helps with hydration and calories, plus tends to help the appetite. She hasn't said anything about hydration, so I hope she is drinking lots of fluids. I believe they have medics on the trekking expeditions, so she should have someone checking on her every day. Hopefully, the low intake is purely due to the altitude anorexia and not an intentional attempt at keeping the calories low to lose more weight. An expedition is no place to go on a diet!

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply