Mt. Edith Cavell

3:56 p.m. on May 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

If you're a hard-core mountaineer, you'll find this little TR uninteresting. Don't read it - I'm just posting it because of the pretty pictures and because it was a nice day.

I always forget that there are really good reasons why the most popular tourist spots are so heavily visited.  In Jasper National park a year or two ago, I was looking for a nice half-day hike to do. I'd planned on taking my group to hike up Sulphur Skyline before driving back to Edmonton that day, but heavy rain the night before suggested the trail might be slippery. Besides, I'd already taken people up there three times that year!

Instead, at the suggestion of the nice lady at the Maligne Canyon hostel, we went up to Cavell Meadows. Yes, there were a lot of tourists, both on the Path of the Glacier trail down in the valley, and on the Cavell Meadows trail, but if you could manage to look past the clutter, the views were spectacular.

269603.jpg 269604.jpg 269605.jpg 269606.jpg 269607.jpg 269608.jpg 269613.jpg  269615.jpg

The alpine flowers were in bloom, the weather was fine, the hike wasn't too strenuous, and we had lots of time left afterwards to drive up to Miette Hot Springs and soak for an hour or two. A very pleasant day.

8:10 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
932 reviewer rep
1,329 forum posts

Very nice! I love seeing such places that I may not get to any time soon....thank you.

9:57 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

My pleasure. When I post the TRs, I get to relive the hikes.

9:54 a.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
592 forum posts

That looks like a great place to visit!

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply