Mt Rogers Trip

11:14 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

I was looking forward to this trip, as was my daughter, Kaelee.  She couldn't wait to see the wild pony's.  We spent 3 days in the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands Area.  It didn't disappoint.  

We're use to forest areas, the open areas with the great views was a nice change of scenery.  

We stopped at the New River Gorge Area in WV to overnight & break up the long 6+ hr drive.

Start of the Trail.  We parking in the Grindstone camping area.  There have been break-ins at the trailhead parking, so I figured better safe than sorry.

1st couple of miles look similar to what we're use to in PA

Then it opens up

& we get our first look at some pony's

We continue up to Mt Rogers

Home for the 1st night

Rained during the night, but the following morning was all sunshine

Day 2 we followed the Appalachian Trail. & saw a few more horses

Interesting...never had to climb a ladder before while backpacking

This fenced in area is called the bear pen, if I remember correctly.  I believe that you can camp here.

We camped a few miles up hill from here.  It started to thunder & Kaelee was getting scaried, so we stopped & I hurried to setup the tent.  Rained for a bit, but did stop & the rest of the evening was nice.

Our last day, some more pony's

On our final way out

We had a great time, awesome views & pony's were special, especially to my daughter.  Looking forward to coming back some day (& hopefully soon)

11:23 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,641 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice tr Doug, looks as though you 2 had a blast. Your daughter looks like she was really loving the ponies. That is so awesome.

Glad to see ya had nice weather and a great trip.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

2:04 p.m. on July 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,234 reviewer rep
1,583 forum posts

Well done Doug K.!

Mt Rogers is such a wonderful area…I saw it for the first time earlier
this year myself and observed a “vibe” about that place that was quite remarkable, and to me unexpected.

Way to go taking the family out…I’m consistently encouraged when I
see such!

BTW, there is an area called Bear Pen but to me the picture you
posted looks like Scales (which is a campground).

Great trip!

5:10 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
186 forum posts

Nice trip report and pics of a awesome place to go. So glad you were able to experience it with your daughter

I can't count how many times I have been to Mt Rogers. My gf saw pics of the wild ponies from a trip I did there 4 yrs ago. That is when she decided she wanted to go there. Since then we have been back twice and she has loved every minute of it

11:07 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Definitely my favorite trip to date, wish we would have stayed at least another day.  Planning another outing for late July, & even though I have other places I'd like to hike, I couldn't help but think of going back to Mt Rogers.  

2:22 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

What a great family trip! From what I've seen, people who get outdoors when they're a kid go back for the rest of their lives. You've given your daughter a great start towards a healthy, active lifestyle.

12:40 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
4,656 reviewer rep
1,381 forum posts

Very cool trip. 

The West has wild mustangs and the East has ponies.  My kids would like the ponies more I think, mustangs don't like people. 

December 2, 2015
Quick Reply