Mt Rogers Trip

11:14 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I was looking forward to this trip, as was my daughter, Kaelee.  She couldn't wait to see the wild pony's.  We spent 3 days in the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands Area.  It didn't disappoint.  

We're use to forest areas, the open areas with the great views was a nice change of scenery.  

We stopped at the New River Gorge Area in WV to overnight & break up the long 6+ hr drive.

image.jpg

Start of the Trail.  We parking in the Grindstone camping area.  There have been break-ins at the trailhead parking, so I figured better safe than sorry.

image.jpg

1st couple of miles look similar to what we're use to in PA

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then it opens up

image.jpg

& we get our first look at some pony's

image.jpg

image.jpg

We continue up to Mt Rogers

image.jpg

image.jpg

Home for the 1st night

image.jpg

Rained during the night, but the following morning was all sunshine

image.jpg

Day 2 we followed the Appalachian Trail. & saw a few more horses

image.jpg

Interesting...never had to climb a ladder before while backpacking

image.jpg

This fenced in area is called the bear pen, if I remember correctly.  I believe that you can camp here.

image.jpg

We camped a few miles up hill from here.  It started to thunder & Kaelee was getting scaried, so we stopped & I hurried to setup the tent.  Rained for a bit, but did stop & the rest of the evening was nice.

Our last day, some more pony's

image.jpg
image.jpg

On our final way out

image.jpg

We had a great time, awesome views & pony's were special, especially to my daughter.  Looking forward to coming back some day (& hopefully soon)

11:23 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice tr Doug, looks as though you 2 had a blast. Your daughter looks like she was really loving the ponies. That is so awesome.

Glad to see ya had nice weather and a great trip.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

2:04 p.m. on July 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Well done Doug K.!

Mt Rogers is such a wonderful area…I saw it for the first time earlier
this year myself and observed a “vibe” about that place that was quite remarkable, and to me unexpected.

Way to go taking the family out…I’m consistently encouraged when I
see such!

BTW, there is an area called Bear Pen but to me the picture you
posted looks like Scales (which is a campground).

Great trip!

5:10 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
163 forum posts

Doug,

Nice trip report and pics of a awesome place to go. So glad you were able to experience it with your daughter

I can't count how many times I have been to Mt Rogers. My gf saw pics of the wild ponies from a trip I did there 4 yrs ago. That is when she decided she wanted to go there. Since then we have been back twice and she has loved every minute of it

11:07 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Definitely my favorite trip to date, wish we would have stayed at least another day.  Planning another outing for late July, & even though I have other places I'd like to hike, I couldn't help but think of going back to Mt Rogers.  

2:22 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

What a great family trip! From what I've seen, people who get outdoors when they're a kid go back for the rest of their lives. You've given your daughter a great start towards a healthy, active lifestyle.

12:40 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Very cool trip. 

The West has wild mustangs and the East has ponies.  My kids would like the ponies more I think, mustangs don't like people. 

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply