Near Kaleetan Peak 07/07/12

10:24 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

Have you ever tried to do in one day what you really ought to take two days for?  That was this trip.  We planned a 4,000 elevation gain in a six mile approach, about half of it off-trail. 

We planned to climb 6.259' Kaleetan Peak.  This was our first mountain of the Summer and we weren't ready yet.

The tall one is is Kaleetan Peak.  The smaller ridge in front of it is where we ended up when we turned around. 

Most of the hike reeked of bear musk and we saw several rotted logs torn apart by hungry scavenging.  All the snow was in turbo melt-off mode, it was 100 degree day at home, about 80 up there on S. facing slopes. 

image.jpg

Melakwa Lake along the approach hike.  Here we met some REALLY NICE forest rangers who went into detail about the fatal fall of a UW student who was attempting this climb last year and scared the hell out of the kids.  Thanks ladies!!  They went on about how exposed the ridge was, how dangerous it was, etc. etc.
image.jpg

Where we ate lunch
image.jpg

Chair Peak, with the scramble route in the foreground
image.jpg

One of the high points we took a break at.
image.jpg

I wish we had summitted but the kids asked to go back so we decided to call it a day.
Once they saw the summit gully I think the nice stories the Rangers told had an influence on their decision.

This was a very nice way to beat the heat in the lowlands.  I think I ate my weight in snow  It is a very refreshing snack in the heat.   

Yes, thats a TS cap.  Thats my knife and car key around my neck.

Jeff

5:55 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Have you ever tried to do in one day what you really ought to take two days for? 

Thanks for the pics.  I frequently take 4 days to do what would normally take 1 day.

7:21 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

I feel you Tipi.

I have heard my kids tell their friends that they see more snow in the summer than the winter.  I haven't figured out yet if they are bragging or complaining though.

8:42 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

Wow Jeff ---4000 ft in six miles is tough stuff in itself, remarkable trip regardless of summit!

4:49 a.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

"Det er ingen skam å snu" -- There's no shame in turning back. Sometimes it's just the right thing to do. Nice territory!

9:05 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Looks like one heck of a day to me!  The peak will always be waiting for your return.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply