2 trips in a row did not go so well

8:21 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

My first trip was to Strawberry lake Recreation area in ND 2 weeks ago and was my fault it did not go well. There was a sign saying the trail was closed due to wet conditions with a picture of an ATV on it, so I thought it meant closed to ATVs...I was wrong. About 3 miles in a bridge was washed away and forced me to try a stream crossing. It did not appear to difficult so I hopped over and to my horror i sunk up to my knees in mud, and when I managed to get free also learned to tie my shoes tighter as I had to then dig through the mud to retrieve one of my boots.

After that it was prettty uneventful until I had my camp set up and a bunch of teenage idiots came around on a gravel road I did not know was there and were very loud and annoying, which led me to hike out in the dark rather than deal with them all night. The part I have left out so far is the ticks. I have never really had to much of a problem with them but between myself and my 2 dogs I picked off 112 ticks either during or after the trip. Way too many for my taste!

My second trip was this past weekend in Idaho White Cloud mountains boulder creek area to Frog lake with my dad and 3 brothers, one of whom brought his son. Not much to report on this one other than I only made it a little over 3 miles in when my brother sent my dog after a rabbit and the dog ran into a broken tree branch tearing a 3 inch across round hole in his shoulder even after going through his dog pack vest. After that I had no choice but to turn around or most likely loose my dog to infection. He got 6 stitches in his shoulder and seems to be in no pain now, the vet found a piece in his shoulder and estimated the branch penetrated just under his skin and on top of his rib cage about 7 inches down his rib cage. He is doing ok now and seems to be in no pain so long as he takes his meds.

7:09 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Third tiime's a charm?

Ed

8:14 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

Lol yeah, third times the charm!

Few tips that may help in the future.

1)Get a free USGS topo map online and look at the area you plan to go, you can see if there are any roads, be in dirt or gravel nearby. Satellite images from google earth etc can also be useful for the same purpose.

2) Treat your clothing with permetherin in tick country, it REALLY helps. Make sure your dog has a flea/tick med on, but also rub DE(diatamtous earth) into their fur. It feels and looks like baby power, it is a mechanical pestiticide and will kill ticks and any other insect that gets on your dog. I rub DE on my dog before any trips and have never found a tick, and we have taken alot of trips. It is edible as well and is often used to deworm dogs.

3) Keep your dog on a leash or tie out at all times, its more about protecting them than anything. I always have my dog on a leash while hiking and on a tie out in camp. Having your dog get injured like you did should be a learning experience hopefiully. My friend's dog 'never runs off' and one time they stoped to filter water and didn't have the dog on a leash and he took off and they found him a week later.

2:56 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

A catastrophe is just an adventrure wrongly considered.  I don't feel so bad about some of the epics I've had now.  Thanks for sharing!

12:37 a.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

You can avoid ticks by staying out of the heavy brush in late spring early summer.  Use more caution in your route planning.  Don't send your dog after live critters.  Be careful out there.  It sounds like you got anxious and just headed out.  Trips with large groups, relatives and especially out of state trips tend to elevate the expectations of the participants.  Maybe you can use more of a group approach in your planning process.  Then no one can hang the mishaps on you.

1:03 a.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
117 forum posts

I've been seeing the "6-foot leash" requirement in lots of places these days--good idea.  I've had a few trips "go bad" on me, too, so I've gotten to where I don't mind just bailing (to avoid compounding the negative "karma") and count it a lesson.  Thanks for sharing the struggle.  I love the way you care about your dog.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply