Five Lakes

10:17 p.m. on August 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Had a nice couple from New Brunswick last week who wanted to go hiking in the Rockies. A few complications - a series of mudslide had blocked off the Maligne Lake Road at Medicine lake, preventing access to the hikes I'd planned. 

Time for Plan B:

I picked an easy 10 km trail, the Valley of the Five Lakes, to start with on Wednesday afternoon right after we arrived. A nice little pond loop with a few bumps, just to find out how strong they were. I gave them the option of shortening the walk by taking a shortcut back to the TH, but to their credit, they chose to complete the loop.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few bumpy spots, but some nice views as we neared the lakes...

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you're a fisherman...

image.jpg

image.jpg

then on to the next...

image.jpg and another
image.jpg

and the next...
image.jpg
image.jpg Lots of flowers and a few bufflehead ducks, but hardly anyone else around.
image.jpg and on again.

image.jpg

I love the Douglas Firs in the valley, and I enjoy the sheltered, damp forest.
image.jpg Scenic viewpoints and rooted trails; not a bad combination.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg One last pond, then back towards the trailhead.
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
A good start to their two and a half days. They got a nice walk and I got enough information to pick the next day's hike.

12:26 a.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Nice Peter, Make me miss the Rockies.  I lived in Denver for about 4 years and did many summer hikes.  Although I never did get use to going up to 8000 to 10000 feet and start hiking.  Even though that is only 3000 to 4000 up from Denver, it would always catch up to me. 

Great hike, i look forward to more.

Wolfman

11:59 a.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Glad you like it Wolfman. The colour of the lakes always amazes me - no need for Photoshop!

I did two more with the same clients that week, then a two day trip with a group of four ladies right after. I'll post those TRs, too.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply