Dorothy, Virl and Christine Lakes

11:36 a.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

At the end of a weekend, I'm always looking for a nice half-day hike to do before the long drive back to town. With mudslides and washouts everywhere, I wanted something I could be sure of that wouldn't be too difficult, but that would have a worthwhile objective.

I did the Dorothy, Virl and Christine Lake hike a few years before, but that time we only made it to the first of the three, Virl Lake. It was unimpressive, but still pretty.

The hike starts at a bridge across the Miette River, originally built to provide horseback access to Elysium Pass. It begins with a steady traverse of about 100 metres elevation gain up the side of the river valley, then tops out and crosses through the forest.

image.jpg
image.jpg There is another 50 metres of elevation, but spread out into manageable segments.
image.jpg

The next landmark on the trail is Minhaga Creek, marked by a lovely bridge, which provides a nice place to stop.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg
At the junction, good signage directs you first to Dorothy Lake, which is about 100 metres higher but only another kilometre or so away.

image.jpg (nice...)

Just a short while after that (300 metres?) we got to Christine Lake. This is the gem of the hike,

image.jpg

with pristine waters, small islands, and even a family of loons swimming around. A nice place to stop, and we took a half-hour break.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Coincidentally, one of the ladies was named Christine, and she reminded us constantly from then on how much more beautiful Christine was than all the other lakes.

image.jpg

Back down to the junction and a kilometre or so more to Virl Lake...

image.jpg

image.jpg

A bit ho-hum after Christine, but still pretty.

We returned to the Minhaga bridge for lunch...

image.jpg
image.jpg

... and eventually returned to the Miette River Bridge.

Group photo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two nice trips back to back, and now I get to prepare for the next one!

Waterton National Park this weekend ( connect to Glacier Park on the US side), for the Alderson-Carthew Trail. 650 metres up, then 1100 down, over 16 km. Should be a nice day. 

11:53 a.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Peter, looks like a really nice scamper through the woods(would be nicer with a 70lb+ pack... just saying.)

As always beautiful scenery. 

10:36 a.m. on August 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

70 lbs is just masochism, Rick! :-)  On a backpacking trip, if it doesn't fit into my 55+10 litre pack, it doesn't go.

While I have a couple of backpacking trips coming up (Berg Lake at Mt. Robson, for example) I seem to wind up with a lot more dayhikes, so I try to make them as interesting and challenging as my groups can handle.

Planned trips for next season will include the Chilkoot Pass (the old Klondike route) and hopefully a trip to Britain for the Three Peaks. The Chilkoot will be a 4-5 day backpacking trip, but Ben Nevis, Mt. Snowdon and Scafell Pike are all day hikes. All of those will be with selected companions with good skills, and I won't be limited by the abilities of the weakest member of a larger group.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply