Wind River Range: part 2 of 3-- Green River Lakes TH loop

10:39 p.m. on September 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

So my buddy Adam who lives in Jackson(where I stayed while in town and had the use of his truck<thanks adam>),  was able to get off of work on Thursday and Friday so we headed out together for a 4 day trip. We started from the Green River Lakes TH and headed up river.

In the meadow between lower and upper Green River lakes. Squaretop Mt and the bottle in the distance.

image.jpg

Headed up along the upper lake. The lower lake is clear and greenish blue, while the upper lake below is green and milky (glacial flour/silt). I guess most of it settles out before making it to the lower lake.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Headed up river....looking back down river
image.jpg

We decide to spend night 1 in Beaver Park below.
image.jpg

We relaxed and ate dinner and watched the light fade on the canyon walls. Around dark a storm rolled in and it began to rain and lighting was popping frequently in the high country.
image.jpg

The next day we continued up river past Threeforks park and then the trail left the river and climbed towards Trail Creek park.
image.jpg

The trail split and we continued climbing up to the West towards Clark Lake pictured below. We continued over the unnamed pass in the distance.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Getting closer to the pass and looking back at Clark lake and high country peaks back to the east
image.jpg

image.jpg

A view west down in the Lozier Lakes Basin and the headwaters of the New Fork River.
image.jpg

image.jpg

We set up camp on Kenny Lake on the far side of the basin. We begin to relax and unwind but the skies had been looking threatning for a while and we were soon forced into the tents when a storm blew in not long after the picture below. Lots of rain and severval very close ground shaking lightning bolts begin to pop the peaks around us. We were forced to stay in the tent for an hour or so then the skies tried to clear and we made dinner.

image.jpg

Then I began to fish for some before dark entertainment. The fish were striking almost everything. The mosquitos here were thick and pesky.
image.jpg

Landed 8-10 and called it a day.
image.jpg

Day 3 we head down the headwaters of the New Fork.
image.jpg

Only to head back up a different drainage towards Porcupine pass to the north. We passed a NOLS group that had been out for over 20 days and stopped and had a breif chat. Lucky youngsters.
image.jpg

Heading up the last steps of the pleasant grade of the south side of Porcupine pass.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking down into the Porcupine creek valley.
image.jpg

Views from the valley floor
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We set up night 3 in this meadow.
image.jpg

The next morning we decide to push out fairly fast down the creek and its fall down to Upper Green River Lake.
image.jpg

Adam trying to keep his feet dry crossing Porcupine Creek
image.jpg

We pushed out fast and I took no more pictures along the way. He had to get to work back in Jackson the next day so we headed back down and ate some good homemade lasagne. I stayed in Jackson that night and headed out the next day back to the Winds and the Elkhart Park TH. Part 3 coming soon.

4:49 p.m. on September 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

Thanks very much for taking us there! Great report and I'll be looking for the next installment.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply