Isle Royale Backpacking Trip Report (9/2 - 9/9)

9:21 a.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

Just got back home late Sunday, and my dang job keeps getting in the way of finishing the report, so I decided to split it up into parts.  Here is Part 1 on some cool places in the Michigan Upper Peninsula that we visited before ferrying across Lake Superior to the island.

Isle Royale Trip Report Part 1: Marquette, Gitche Gumee, Canyon Falls, Houghton, and the Quincy Smelter

I'm hoping to get the actual backpacking report done tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.

9:26 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

In Part II, I write about and show pictures of our trek across the island.

Isle Royale Trip Report Part II: the Voyage, Amazing Sunrises, and Long Hikes

Part III, in which I reflect a little more on the trip and the island, should be ready by the end of the weekend, if not sooner.

Thanks for reading!

11:28 a.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,286 forum posts

I used to think about Isle Royale a lot, but have never been.  Good report.  Did you hear or see any wolves on your trip?  How about moose?  At one time the island was a big deal because of the moose and wolves and their interactions.

2:43 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

We didn't see or hear any signs of wolves.  We heard that there was wolves running along the shore when the Isle Royale Queen IV ferry was coming around the island.  Sadly, they're down to 9 wolves, only one of which is a female, so the wolves could die off the island in the next few years.  I plan to talk about this in a little more detail in Part III of my trip report.

I am fairly certain I saw a moose in the brush, but never got a great look and I only have a couple unfocused/blurry pictures.  We saw a lot of signs of moose, including hoof prints, flattened grass, and trails.

9:47 p.m. on September 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

My final thoughts and reflections on Isle Royale. Thanks for reading!

Isle Royale Part III: Thoughts, reflections, lessons learned, and wolves
http://www.onroadslesstraveled.com/2012/09/15/isle-royale-part-iii/

10:55 a.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,363 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

Beautiful scenery. Looks exactly the same as my favourite backpacking area in Killarney, Ontario.

If I can give some feedback on the report, it would be nice to have the photos separated a little bit. I found if there we a couple photos in a row with the same color combinations they kinda blended together. It made it harder to appreciate each one. Just a little space between each would help distinguish one from another.

8:31 a.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback, Jake.  A couple other people have made the same suggestion.  When I have some free time, I will mess around with the vertical spacing a little bit.

11:03 a.m. on September 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

The owner of the trademark, "the Road Less Traveled" contacted me claiming that my blog, "On Roads Less Traveled" infringes on her trademark.  I disagree, but I'd rather write content than write pleadings to defend myself, and I'd rather travel someplace fun than go to court, so the trip report is moving to my new blog domain, Expedition Digest.  I have also consolidated all three parts into a single post if you're looking at this trip report for the first time.

http://expeditiondigest.com/2012/09/19/isle-royale-trip-report/

10:06 p.m. on September 27, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Excellent post.  I have not been to Isle Royale since the late 1980's and would love to go back again.  The logisitcs of getting to/from are a bit of a hassle and make for more travel time making sort trips impractical.  Great photos they bring back a lot of memories.  Both of my trips have been end to end trips by different routes, but I agree the best areas are along the coasts.

Also, a +1 on Marquette.  We spent some time there last summer and I really like the town.  For a city of its size it is quite a charming place to hang out.  I've not been to Houghton but hope to get there someday, I've always taken the ferry from Grand Portage.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply