Sitting Pretty

11:51 a.m. on September 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
178 forum posts

On our last trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon (SEKI) we visited a few lakes that get a little more traffic than is usual in the backcountry.  Every area deals with this in a different way, since that additional traffic has three major impacts on the wilderness experience. One of those is the toilet facilities.  Too many backpackers can have a very ugly impact on a heavily used campsite area.  So in a few places in the backcountry, you'll find a vault toilet.  It's not exactly our idea of wilderness, but we understand the problem, and we don't have a better solution.

We were particularly taken with a toilet at Twin Lakes in SEKI.  It was certainly not your traditional vault toilet, and M was quite sure she we never find it easy to use...but still; nice effort.  Two walls, only, and only about waist high. And a lovely view from the throne. 

photos on our blog, at backpackthesierra.com

It's good being the king!

1:18 p.m. on September 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

image.jpg

;-)

10:45 a.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
178 forum posts

And where was this spectacular shot taken?

1:40 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

There are modern versions of composting toilets being installed in many places in the Canadian parks. The nicest ones look very much like a throne, with a low back, and arms to block the views from the sides. They sit back in the bush, and allow for a contemplative moment enjoying the scenery.

No water, and quite sanitary, but I don't think any have the views that Big Red's does.

(PS: My wife would KILL me if I ever posted a shot like that of her, but it sure says a lot about the location and about the moment.)

2:36 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

That is the "utedo" (outhouse) at a hut called Tåkeheim (Home of the Fog) in the Helgeland region of Norway. A choice place to take a dump, at least when the weather is nice!

2:49 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
178 forum posts

peter1955 said:

There are modern versions of composting toilets being installed in many places in the Canadian parks. The nicest ones look very much like a throne, with a low back, and arms to block the views from the sides. They sit back in the bush, and allow for a contemplative moment enjoying the scenery.

No water, and quite sanitary, but I don't think any have the views that Big Red's does.

(PS: My wife would KILL me if I ever posted a shot like that of her, but it sure says a lot about the location and about the moment.)

Ditto on the PS.  no question.

3:27 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

funny stuff guys!

i hate all the backcountry toilets around here. especially in summer. blah

but I've yet to find anywhere in my local mountains that a person could not dig a hole with a little effort.

4:11 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Yea the ones up here are pretty gross. Why would they make them white all the way down. A darker color would lessen the yuk factor quite a bit.

10:26 a.m. on September 27, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
552 forum posts

Big red, I knew it was Norway! I zoomed the photo and saw a troll on the far snowfield! LOL. You know, I remember using one of those wilderness vaults in the BWCA years ago. It was better than digging a hole that's for sure.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply