About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Max Patch Magic Show

5:22 p.m. on October 5, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,031 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I am a little late on this one. This trip was on 8/19-8/20 just to the top of Max Patch. My friend, Ashley (one of my bridesmaids in the Yosemite pictures), wanted to try out backpacking, so we thought that Max Patch would be a great place for her to start!

It was kind of groggy out when we got there, but we were able to get some good views in before the sky turned completely gray.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

While there is nothing wrong with these views at all, I was disappointed for Ashley because every time we have gone there, we have had breathtaking views. I guess we are just spoiled now! We did have a really good time hanging out beside the campfire and listening to music, while enjoying the nice temperatures. There were a LOT of people up there this time. 

When I unzipped the tent the next morning, I was STUNNED by this view! It literally took my breath away! I had NO idea it would look like this. I was expecting a murky sky and maybe even some rain.
image.jpg

As usual, Max Patch NEVER failed to produce unbelievable beauty.

image.jpg
Ashley and I

image.jpg

image.jpg
This was literally right in front of us!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
The A.T. appearing to vanish into the clouds
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Jay descending back to the car

image.jpg

Well...I am pretty sure we were meant to go that weekend! I've never seen clouds like this in my life! I am SO glad we went. Ashley had a great first trip, as well!

6:21 p.m. on October 5, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,116 forum posts

Wow, A, I've been there many times and I never get pictures like you do! Very cool...

2:00 p.m. on October 6, 2012 (EDT)
2,031 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thanks! I don't know how it is possible, but I've just been incredibly lucky!

11:26 a.m. on October 8, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Wow, just beautiful. 

On more than one occasion when staying on a bald, I've been floored when stepping out of my tent in the morning.  It's like having the universe hand you your hat, saying "Yeah, your whole concept of the world is kinda weak. Things are a lot bigger and more beautiful than you seem to believe."

Well, at least that's what it's felt like to me a few times :) 

11:24 a.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
2,031 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thanks, Gonzan.

I know what you mean! The more you get out there, the more opportunities you have to see clouds, stars, sunsets, and sunrises that will knock your socks off. Hence, why I try to go hiking so often! I've yet to go hiking without being rewarded in some way. Everything might not always go the way that it is planned, and the weather might not always cooperate, but every time I go, I learn something new and see something in a way that I've never seen it before.

5:47 p.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Hiking is a world of unexplored possibilities.

You get to go places you've never been, to see things you never expected to see, and do things you never thought you could do.

7:41 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Extremely cool photos Ashleigh!

I would love to spend next weekend on a high bald but instead I will be walking through ferns, cane, and a lot of dirt/mud/water to get to a favorite camping spot at about 63' in elevation.

I might print out one of your photos and hang it on a tree nearby to look at.

Thanks for sharing your trip & photos!

I sure do miss those views since I moved away.

What were the temps and wind like?

Mike G.

10:33 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
2,031 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thanks, Mike!

I hope you had a great time on your trip!

There was no wind at all that night/morning (RARE) and the high was probably 70, low was about 45. Nice weather!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply