IATN Indian Lookout Newfoundland

9:40 p.m. on October 14, 2012 (EDT)
61 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

No back country trip is complete without a stay at Green Point campground in Gros Morne. Harold who is one of the locals is the Park Ranger who is well worth taking the time to chat with as he has insight to the area that only locals can provide.
image.jpg

The trip starts out with wildlife from the start, we had not gotten more then couple miles down the trail and well I will let pictures tell the story.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This trail provides views that pictures can do it no justice but I will try. The trail itself is new and is not mark very clearly, like the AT. I would highly recommend you obtain the trail maps from Newfoundland IAT. Navigation skills are required this is not much different from the Long Range or North Rim in Gros Morne. While it is marked in places very clearly it in many places requires strong navigation skill. The biggest bonus of this trail is places where one would have to bush whack through tuck it is nicely cut, anyone who has had to trudge through tuck knows what a huge bonus this is.

The vistas and views well I will let pictures do the talking

This is from first campsite

image.jpg

The day does not get any better
image.jpg

image.jpg

With views that the picture does not give any justice to is there any wonder why one would not want to hike here
image.jpg

The sights early in the AM give one new energy after good night sleep
image.jpg

Only to have the unforgettable sights start all over again
image.jpg

Indian Look Out is well worth the venture it is relatively new and they are hard at work improving the trails and expanding them. We choose to drive up Five Mile road to start our hike, do not attempt unless you have a 4X4 with good ground clearance or you can park at the end of the road hike up the road to the trail head or arrange boat transport up to one of the trail heads and make transport arrangements out for a fee.

Newfoundland is a hikers dream fantastic sights great rails, wonderful people and history. We can not wait to return to see how they have improved and expanded this trail system. They have truly brought the essence of old fashion hiking challenging, stunning beauty and a solid work out.

4:31 p.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Nice country with what looks like a gorgeous trail along the coast.What kind of elevation are we talking about here?

Are those Woodland Caribou?

6:30 a.m. on October 16, 2012 (EDT)
61 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

No sure about the type believe they call them plains. Elevation is about 2500 ft the nice thing is in Newfoundland it is gain all the elevation at once the flat. That said terrain literally will change in a mile. That in itself just adds to the thrill of the hike.

11:51 a.m. on October 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Apparently woodland caribou are native to Newfoundland. The other possibility is barren land caribou, which are close relatives, but I can't find a reference to them on The Rock.

Nice to see one of our endangered species surviving there.

8:52 a.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
61 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

The moose is the competing animal, it is not native like the caribou. They are making a come back due to increase on the moose hunt. The damage environmentally done by the moose was very evident on the roadside foliage. This has had huge impact on caribou heard.

11:24 a.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,221 forum posts

Stunning country Newfie!

7:49 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Wow...thanks for a great look at a Newfoundland hike!

I used to love doing an approach by 4X4 then hiking on in as far as I could get and fish river canyons. That looks like a great place to do the same thing.

The landscape is stunning and I also really liked the first photo, was that of the lake seen in the other photo?

Thanks newfiebound!

Mike G.

7:58 a.m. on October 30, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

I agree with the others...what a place! Thanks for sharing!

9:45 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
61 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

trounthunter the first photo is of the ocean from Green Point Campground just a short distance from the trout river which you can see the trout running with the tide. If you like to hike and fish this is the place to go as there are several places to 4X4 in hike to the stream and well catch and eat well. I suggest talking with the locals as they are willing for a small fee to guide you in to the best spots. Commercial outfitters there are pricey and I hear common complaint of "no action" there are many "local" registered guides that do it for the fun of it, they usually have a good spot in chatting with some of the people who have fished in the past. Most have a Newfie fishing buddy that has a guide license. I do have the name of a local if interested in a trip.

3:01 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,114 forum posts

Nice images and story about the area. Looks  like interesting country. I take it the two animals are Caribou Does? Reminds me of Alaska and the Yellowstone high country.

4:10 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
61 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Yes they are caribou does, the comments I hear from people who have been to Alaska are they call it "little Alaska". Just an overall wonderful place!

9:29 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
508 forum posts

Wow what awesome views! Looks higher than 2500 ft! Heck, that's practically sea level, you lucky duck.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply