My longest trips on the road to date since 1977

5:26 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

In June 1977 I hitchhiked 8000 miles around the USA. I started in Arkansas and hitchhiked to my old hometown/birthplace of Sodus NY, then after a week looking up old friends and places I spent my childhood, I went SE to Washington DC. My brother was living and working in Arlington VA at the time so I got to stay at his apartment for a week while I visited the Washington area.

Then I left and hitched to Denver CO where my Aunt and Uncle lived and stayed a few days before heading on to Glacier Park MT where I took a job for a couple/three weeks at the St mary's Lodge. I hiked the backcountry on my days off.

Then on to Seattle Washington where I worked again for a few weeks doing landscape labor.

Then down to Crater Lake, Mt Shasta, Mt Rainer, and on to Yosemite where I stayed a couple weeks hiking and backpacking.

Then down to L.A and back home to southern Arkansas.

A month after returning home I went back to Seattle WA and flew on Alaskan Airlines and lived in Anchorage for two winters taking the summers of 78/79 hiking in Denali N.P.

My longest bicycle tour was in 1983/84 when I rode 7000 miles around the USA from Jackson WY to Sodus NY, then to Hope AR and on to Tucson AZ and back to JH, WY.

11:14 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

How far this time (so far) Gary?

You're a pretty amazing guy.

2:04 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Well I left Jackson Hole WY in NW Wyoming on September first and rode thru SW Wyoming entering Utah on the east side of Flaming Gorge then down to Price Utah, to Moab  and the Arches NP. Then south on down to Monument Valley to Chinle at the mouth of Canyon De Chelly. And on south to the Petrified Forest and on to Show Low. I stayed with a friend around there for a month and rode in his van to the Slabs (near Niland) area in southern California where I stayed a couple more weeks, then left Saturday the 10th and rode up along the Salton Sea to Mecca CA, up to Joshua Tree NP then over to 29 Palms where I am now. 

Not sure the mileage as I don't have a bike odometer. Should have, wish I did start with one. Anyway I guess its been about 1500-1700 miles now. I actually rode about 1000 miles from WY to Show Low. and about 100 miles since the Slabs. 

Now I am looking at heading west to Ventura on the coast north of L.A. and up the Pacific to San Francisco and all the way eventually to Olympic NP in Washington. After that, only God knows! I would plan to head east to Maine, Florida, etc...

Read my trip reports and I will keep ya'll posted pictures and all.

7:08 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Gary, you should head to the ne. I have a room for you for a few days. You could base from my place and explore the whites,presidentials and the app trail. There all within a couple of hrs from me. Im in sw new hampshire

4:03 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

I plan to come to the NE next summer riding from Washington state across the upper states. I plan to go to the Olympic Penninsula from southern California first.

I lived in Nashua one winter in 1996. I was working at the Red Lobster on the NH/MA border across the street from the Peasant Lane Mall.

Eventually I plan to ride all the way around the USA border states then spiral my way into the other states in btween and hopefully get into all 48 states in the next couple years. I rode across Alaska in 2006's summer and then plan to go to Hawaii and do the islands over there. I may even retire to Hawaii when I am old enough in 8 years.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply