Climbing Alta Peak, Sequoia NP

10:20 p.m. on December 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

I have lived in Visalia for twelve years, and for those twelve years I have looked at Alta Peak in Sequoia NP (visible from my house) thinking that I need to get on top.  For one reason or another, those plans always got pushed back by other hikes.  At the end of the summer I finally got around to it.  But instead of doing the way most people do it (trail to the summit on the southern slopes) I decided to take the scenic route, so I convinced a friend to do a more challenging approach.

We started at Wolverton on the Lakes trail, heading toward Pear Lake.  On the way we got good views at the Watchtower

image.jpg

image.jpg

Eventually the trail took us to Pear Lake

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here is where the fun began.  From Pear Lake we headed cross country up the basin, encountering a lot of fun boulder scrambling on the way.  First, looking back down at Pear Lake from above

image.jpg

Rocks and more rocks

image.jpg

My friend on the rocks.  He loves boulder scrambles, and he got plenty of it that day.
image.jpg

See if you can spot my friend, he is dead center in this picture

image.jpg

Eventually we could see a couple chutes in the headwall; which one to take?

image.jpg

When we got closer we decided on the one on the right.  It was a bit tricky, but we got up it without any incidents.

image.jpg

At the top of the chute we could see that the summit was just a short distance to the west

image.jpg

10:27 p.m. on December 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

A short traverse, and we were on top.  Looking east from the top toward the Great Western Divide and the Kaweahs.  The high broad saddle in the middle of the Kaweahs (highest group on the left) is where I went over Pyra-Queen col on the way out of Kaweah Basin earlier this year.

image.jpg

Looking southeast down the Great Western Divide and toward Mineral King.

image.jpg

Looking west toward the San Joaquin Valley and home

image.jpg

From the summit we took the main trail down, passing a lot of nice foxtail pines on the way (one of my favorite trees)

image.jpg

And finally, some views along the trail on the way back to the car

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, it was well worth the effort.  The long boulder scramble wore my friend out, his wife said that when he got home he went straight to bed.

1:32 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

When we lived in SoCal, Pear Lake was a favorite backcountry ski tour destination. I think the ski hut there is now under National Park Jurisdiction, but way back, it was a Sierra Club hut.

4:18 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

More beautiful images and story, Thanks for sharing!

7:45 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Nice report! I enjoyed the pictures! You are so lucky to live out there!

11:44 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Nice report!  I hiked/climbed Alta Peak some years ago and shared my lunch spot on the summit with a marmot.  :-)

7:18 a.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,333 reviewer rep
628 forum posts

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing.

12:36 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

It is good to see the clear air during your trip.  Sequoia is an under-rated park.  You have to like rocks to be on top.  As a forester, it is more interesting to me at lower elevations.

8:03 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

My goodness would you look at that......

Great Stuff!

10:29 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

Bill - The hut at Pear Lake is now run by the park service, and it is still a popular ski destination.

Jim - It's pretty hard to escape the marmots on summits around here.  They are especially crafty at locations near Mineral King.

PPine - My two loves in life are geology and dendrology, so I love the middle elevation forests and the high elevation rock equally.

Patman - Come out here and I'll take you to places like this.  The trailhead for this hike is right next to Giant Forest, so you could take a walk among the big trees after doing the summit.  And the trailhead for the hike I did a week ago to visit the President is from the same parking lot as where I went  on my big trip this year.

2:29 a.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Beautiful report! I've done similar loops from up out of Emerald Lake, the lake before Pear Lake. Near the top there was a use trail ascending a sandy ridge.

I used the Pear Lake Hut a couple winters ago on a ski trip. Reservations are a must, the place gets booked solid in winter.

10:33 a.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

What a well done report. Ty. I spent around 40 days in yosemite this year. I think I'd better spend some time in Sequoya next summer. Tim

10:02 p.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

Realbuff - having spent a good amount of time in the back country of both Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon, for me SEKI is the hands down winner.  Higher peaks, deeper canyons, grand views.  Hard to beat.

Even if you like the main attraction in Yosemite - Yosemite Valley - you can visit a canyon with the same size granite walls in Kings Canyon.  Tehipite Canyon is just as deep as Yosemite Valley.  The big difference?  No people.  You will have it to yourself.

image.jpg

Look at my trip reports for my longer week-long trips in SEKI to see what is there.  I've barely scratched the surface.  The only thing that Yosemite has better than SEKI is big waterfalls.

10:50 p.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Marmots rock! No pun ;-P

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply