29 Palms CA to Sedona AZ

3:26 p.m. on December 11, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I finally left 29 Palms two days ago on Sunday. It took me 2 days and 2 hours to get to Parker AZ where I am now.

DSCF0752.jpg

Leaving 29 Palms and its 100 miles to the next services at Parker AZ.

DSCF0758.jpg

At the end of my first day I make it to the Colorado Aquaduct feeding southern California with water from the Colorado River . I went 50 miles this day.

DSCF0762.jpg

Looking back the way I have come from 29 Palms which is near the edge of the mountains on the left where they meet the mountains on the horizon.

DSCF0765.jpg

Sunset on the mountains from my first camp.

DSCF0766.jpg

Another long day in the saddle looking back at midday.

DSCF0769.jpg

Camp Granite a WWII military training area for servicemen before they went to Europe. It only ran from 1942-44 then was dismantled completely.
DSCF0770.jpg

A curious sign post along Hwy 62. Has real signs for places like Gallup NM and mostly signs of people who past this way. Last time I saw a sign like this was in the Yukon territory in 1978 on the Alaskan Highway.

DSCF0773.jpg

Old burnt down gas station sign. Its 36 miles to Parker! Middle of nowhere near old Rice CA. No town there now.

DSCF0774.jpg

Boot fence 1/4 miles down from the old gas station. Met a guy and his son there. He had been to it years ago, now brought his son to see it. They took my picture for me.

DSCF0775.jpg

Need 3,324 acres of prime desert landscape? I stopped for the only shade because of the sign. Ate lunch here about noon yesterday the 10th of Dec.

DSCF0776.jpg

I take camp spot where I can find 'em! I stopped beside this grader because it was very windy and it blocked it.

DSCF0778.jpg

Sunset glow on the desert.

DSCF0782.jpg

The road this morning was like a roller-coaster, seen here compressed at telephoto ahead of me. Click on image for a better large view.

DSCF0783.jpg

Looking up river...

DSCF0784.jpg

and downriver on the Colorado River between Earp CA and Parker AZ.

I am in Parker now. I will be heading SE from here towards Hope AZ then east to Wickenburg(?)

Will post again in a few day.

3:58 p.m. on December 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,257 forum posts

Nice report Gary. How much water are you carrying on your bike?

3:46 p.m. on December 13, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I am now between Salome and Wenden AZ. I left Parker day before yesterday. the last two days it has been very windy towards me so, the first day out I went just 15 miles in 5 hours, yesterday I went about 20 miles all day. Today I went about 20 miles also but it is just now 12:30 so I am doing a lot better. I usually get started at about 7-8 am and ride till an hour before sunset which is about 4 pm.

I had to ride 1 1/2 miles off the highway (60) to get to a RV park where the county library is. The wind today is blowing NE so it hits me broadside but at least its going more my direction pushing me a bit down the road.

I am heading towards Wickenburg AZ which is about 50 miles away farther east. The weather has been threatening rain the last couple days and the temperture has been about 50-6- degrees. But cycling kepps me warm. If I stop I get chilled and put on a sweater and windbreaker, then when I start pedaling again within a mile I stop to take them off as I get too overheated.

Otherwise everything is going well. I carry about a weeks worth of food with me so I don't need to stop for that. Water is still scarce with all the washes (riverbeds in the desert) being bone dry. I carry about 6 quarts of water with me and stop and get more when I can. Since 29 Palms I have had to go as far as 100 miles between stores/gas stations to get water. There's not any people ling out in the open desert and if there are they are miles off the highways.

Today, this afternoon I am going to head back towards the highway and camp in some trees I saw along the way. This area is surrounded by Pistachio orchards

2:01 p.m. on December 14, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Am in Aguila AZ now 27 miles west of Wickenburg. I just pedaled 25 miles in 2 hours and 9 minutes. Its lunchbreak after the net then on towards Wickenburg.

12:44 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I am now in Wickenburg AZ just 80 miles NW of Phoenix. I staopped for two days and nights 10 miles west of here to wait out the rain which stopped yesterday morning and I rode here to Wickenburg. I hung around town then went back west a mile from town to camp. This morning I went to the post office and am now at the library. I am waiting on a letter from a friend so I may be here a few days.

Then I am heading to I-17 east of here in northern Phoenix metro and then up I-17 towards Sedona. It snowed the second day I waited west of town ain the mountains north. Prescott AZ got 6 inches and Flagstaff a foot and the Grand Canyon got 2 feet. So it has been colder at late night /early morning. I may take my time one on I-17 and stop around Camp Verde and Motazuma's Castle Nat Monument for a while to really explore the area around it. There is also another place I may visit where a friend and I hiked about 30 years ago called the Agua Fria River between Camp Verde and where I turn off to go to Sedona.

DSCF0785.jpg

Some purple flowers along the highway east of Parker AZ.

DSCF0786.jpg

First camp in arizona near the railroad tracks along the highway.

DSCF0788.jpg

My camp at sunset looking SE.

DSCF0794.jpg

Camp 2 in AZ looking at the sunlight on the moutains NW of me. I believe they are called the Iron Mountains. Note the one lighter peak on the left which is another mountain range farther to the north.

DSCF0798.jpg

Sunrise the nixt morning looking SE of camp.

There was little change in the scenery to photograph inbewteen campsites, the country is mainly covered by Greasewood plants and flat sand as far as one can see.

DSCF0801.jpg

Hope AZ. I have now been to 3 towns called Hope in three states that all begin with an "A", Arkansas, Alaska and now Arizona. I wonder of there's a Hope, Alabama?

DSCF0804.jpg

Camp 4 between Hope and Wickenburg AZ where I stayed two nights waiting out the weather.

I didn't get a picture of camp 3 as there was huge Palo Verdes around me and no view!

DSCF0807.jpg

A giant Saguaro and the distant cinder cones near camp 4.

DSCF0808.jpg

Another smaller Saguaro cacti and the mountains back towards the way I came the days before looking SW.

DSCF0810.jpg

Its me! My 3 and a half month old winter beard. In my tent waiting out the rain...

DSCF0815.jpg

Vulture Peak from my camp last evening west of Wickenburg. I am going to go an hike to it later today. Interesting looking isn't it?

I will do a new trip report about this hike tomorrow.

11:48 a.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I didn't do Vulture Peak as the weather changed and its cold again with a possibilty of snow/rain today or tomorrow.

I am now considering going SE to Tucson where I was last winter till spring. My sleeping bag is only rated to 25 and I don't like cold weather camping so much anymore.

2:45 p.m. on December 24, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Currently I am in SE Casa Grande AZ on my way to Tucson 60 miles away now. I expect to get there eitther late tomorrow or on Wednesday.

A couple days ago I hiked up to Quartz Peak in the Sierra Estrella Wilderness area SE of Buckeye AZ SW of Phoenix. I will post images from the hike and my ride since Wickenburg later.

I did go to the Vulture Peak area and camp at the TH on my wat south from Wickenburg to Buckeye over the last few days.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply