Early season snowstorm on Mt. Yoro

8:58 a.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

The first big snow of the season hit the area on Monday, which couldn't have worked out better as I had already planned a trip for that day. I was really looking forward to hiking some snowy trails, but just wasn't expecting this much snow! Snowshoe-less, I hit the trail anyway for a 5-hr loop...

DSCN1929.jpg

Somebody's been out driving around this morning..

DSCN1931.jpg

Here's a waterfall near the trailhead, not nearly cold enough to freeze yet (thankfully).

DSCN1932.jpg
A view back toward lower ground, I think that's a restaurant on the left. I left the gravel walkway and started up the trail from here.

DSCN1933.jpg
Steep staircase..it was all fresh powder, so no slipping and sliding.

DSCN1934.jpg
The trail begins. At this point I'm realizing it was a mistake not to bring snowshoes. Mine are on the way from the US, and will show up about a week too late!

DSCN1936.jpg

DSCN1940.jpg
Fast-forward to the summit (only around 2500 ft). There was at least a foot and a half of snow at the top, some of the drifts were waist deep. The clouds had rolled in at this point and the snow and wind really picked up.

DSCN1944.jpg
Lunch stop in a tree covered area, trying to avoid the wind.

DSCN1945.jpg
Back on the trail...

DSCN1948.jpg
Beautiful but a real nightmare to break trail uphill. Even in snowshoes this would have been tough.

DSCN1953.jpg

DSCN1954.jpg
It's really starting to come down now.

DSCN1956.jpg
Looks like this would be great skiing.

DSCN1958.jpg
Managed to take this despite the snow coming in sideways.

DSCN1959.jpg
Waist-deep around here, but at least it's downhill now...

DSCN1960.jpg
Cool unbroken patterns in the snow drifts, it's nice to be the only one on the trail sometimes!

DSCN1961.jpg

DSCN1967.jpg

The trees opened up in this area.

DSCN1970.jpg
Here's a small shrine I passed near the trailhead, really great feel to the place all covered in snow.

DSCN1971.jpg
Leftovers of autumn. A nice hike, but since it was my first time on this trail and with these conditions, it made things a bit more challenging than expected. A big note-to-self next time to wait until the snowshoes arrive before attempting a hike during a snowstorm!

9:58 a.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

Never gets old, playing in the snow!

11:20 a.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,671 reviewer rep
343 forum posts

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Makes me very jealous over here in SC! :)

9:30 p.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Welcome to winter!A beautifuly day, indeed.

Sometimes when the snow gets too deep, it's wiser to turn around if you don't have your gear with you. Just a thought....

8:25 p.m. on December 15, 2012 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Thanks for the comments! Snowshoes have arrived, so I'm sure I'll be posting again soon. 

11:43 a.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

Nice trip report! All that snow is beautiful, though it must have been tiring without your snowshoes.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply