Return to the Crystal Garden

2:16 p.m. on December 14, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

Well our sudden winter here in Trondheim didn't last long. All of the snow was erased by a couple of weeks of above freezing temps. Then it got cold, with temps in getting down into the low minus teens Celsius (single digits F) on a lot of nights, and often sticking down there during the days because here in Dec the sun barely crawls up over the horizon and so doesn't deliver a lot of warming power. All of which means good potential for ice skating. I was away for the first icy weekend, and before the next weekend it snowed just a few cm over the ice -- not enough to stop us from skating but to cover up some of the beauty of the ice. So no "crystal garden" like we had two years ago, but we did get back out on Jonsvatnet a coupe times over the weekend, where we found some new ice and and still plenty of natural beauty to go around. So I added some new shots to the old Crystal Gardens gallery from two years ago, but here also are a few favorites.

Some ice pillars in the splash zone from before this part of the lake froze over.
Ice-pillars.jpg

Icicles and setting sun, 2:36 PM
Icicles-in-sunlight.jpg

An ice knob in the splash zone
Glowing-ice-knob.jpg

My daughter on some slick new ice
IMG_6571.jpg

And with an ice plate tossed up along the edge by wind and waves before the complete freeze-over
Ice-smile.jpg

A curious "elephant's foot" formation in the splash zone.
Elephant-s-feet-closeup.jpg

My Dutch friend Ron on some good ice near the S end of the lake. We skated 10+ km upwind then turned around and had a real fast trip back.
Ron-on-ice.jpg

A "flakescape", flakes of ice or snow crust frozen into new ice.
Flakescape.jpg

Much as I like skiing in good snow on steep slopes, that flatworld of ice can be really beautiful and fascinating. I was actually hoping it wouldn't snow for another week but we got 15 cm on Monday, so that's probably it for the season. My buddy Christophe plans to go out kite skiing on the lake tomorrow, though. Now we're just waiting for a bit more snow to start skiing again.

1:46 a.m. on December 15, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Very nice!  It reminds me of what I used to see when I was growing up in upstate NY.  I don't see much here in the winter since it rarely gets below the upper 20s F.

7:22 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Fantastic photos Red! Thanks much

7:37 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

So neat, I really like the elephant foot one!

10:26 a.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
551 forum posts

Like it.  Need some hockey skates, a stick and a puck.

11:50 a.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,097 forum posts

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

1:25 p.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
773 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

By the way, I spoke too soon. Big wind on Saturday opened it up again, so we had another weekend good skating, and with no new snow in sight it looks like that's what there is to do over Christmas.

11:05 p.m. on December 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Such a beautiful world over there--and good exercise at the same time!  We have water sports here on the Gulf Coast, but I have never considered how much variety of action can be had on solid ice and on snow!  Thanks for these images of a world I've never seen.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply