Video - Return to Bent Tree

7:28 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Last year I found this cool bottomland swamp area while out bushwacking away from my camp for the day. I finally got a chance to return and backpack into the area during New Years for some much needed R&R!

Nightime temps were a few points below freezing and my Trailspace Ibex Beanie was perfect for this trip. Anyhow...I rang in the New Year backcountry style.

I hope you enjoy,

MikeG.

8:13 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

+1 on the net bags. I use the ones oranges come in, kinda a medium size. Where are you, near what town anyway. My brother in law lives in charleston and that looks like some areas we have hunted. Im a transplant from nc, so that looks more like home than here in nh.

8:23 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Nice video Trouthunter. Thanks. 

12:11 p.m. on January 14, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Sweet video. 

7:16 p.m. on January 14, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

hah! nicely done Mike...thank you

10:12 a.m. on January 15, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I enjoyed it...good job Mike.

8:53 p.m. on January 15, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thanks everyone.

I'm struggling with how best to convey the beauty of the area since it lacks the wonderful vistas found in the mountains, and the animals wont sit still long enough to video them. Haha.

Hotdogman, I live in Goose Creek just a few miles outside Charleston, our city is a bird sanctuary with a lot of surrounding fresh water wetlands.

Mike G.

5:04 p.m. on January 16, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I enjoyed that, Mike. Onion bags will never be the same for me now. I like how you used the water bottle as a line weight when throwing it over the branch - seeing these things done makes it easy to remember.

Please tell me that you don't camp near alligators, that that was some old footage?!

7:48 p.m. on January 16, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Pathloser said:

"Please tell me that you don't camp near alligators, that that was some old footage?!"

I find the bottles dont get snagged or hung up like nylon sacks on the rough pine or oak bark.

The alligator footage was from the same area - a little farther downstream - this past Spring.   

1:15 p.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Mike, excuse my ignorance, but what happens in the colder months? And is there any risk of them coming upstream? The whole idea, I would not sleep a wink.

9:12 p.m. on January 18, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Pathloser said:

Mike, excuse my ignorance, but what happens in the colder months? And is there any risk of them coming upstream? The whole idea, I would not sleep a wink.

No excusing needed, it took me a while to get comfortable around alligators, but I have come to understand that they are quite docile really.

During the colder months they usually den-up but will come out on warm sunny days. Alligators will go just about anywhere there is food, water, and suitable habitat I guess but I've never had one approach me, once they see or hear you they just try to get away. 

They can be aggressive during mating season, or if you startle them while they are on land and you're blocking their path to the water, or if you anger a female guarding a nest.

I would say they are a lot like black bears, there is the potential for danger, but 99% of the time they just want to get away from you.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply