Bear canyon hike

1:29 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I spent an hour posting a trip report only to have my PC quit then not putting the images and captions up. This sis the pictures I posted no captions.
Bear-Canyon-to-Seven-Falls-and-beyond-3-

4:01 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Gotta love computers. Pictures look great though, makes me wish I wasn't stuck up in North Dakota where the temps are still getting in the negatives at night, a week into March.

That rock reminds me of one I saw on a hike last summer that looked like it was about to roll down the hill onto the trail, that some joker had leaned a small tree branch against, giving the illusion that the branch was holding up the rock.

4:39 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Why are you "stuck" in N.D. ? I live in Jackson Hole WY in the summers where I work up to 3 month of the year, Utah in the fall biking to the SW, Arizona in the winter and back thru Utah on my bike in the spring, then I start all over in summer. been a Nomad for 36 years.

Route-from-Jackson-Wy-to-Calif-to-Tucson

My bike route last Sept-Dec 2012.

6:54 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

must give you a feeling of freedom. what do you do for money?

8:40 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

In the military, so I go where they say.

8:58 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
172 forum posts

Nice pics and totally different area than I am use to seeing. Is this Az? 

9:33 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Yea, it is diff, you never usually see that many people in Gary's pics. Great pics, but I gotta have more trees.

11:47 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I used to think that way "about the tree's" till I thought if I replaced each Saguaro and other cacti with a tre and bushes it would be a dense forest and it is desert style! 

Trailjester asks what do I do for money, I work a couple months a year generally in the middle of the summer. I live very cheaply tho, so just a couple thousand dollars is enough for me to hike and bike from Sept-may every year.  Last year I worked almost 7 weeks, 3 of which was "under the table" I made just $1600 in taxable income all year. I worked 5 different jobs, roofing, cooking, bussing tables ,deli prep and washing dishes.  Two job's lasted 3 weeks, two lasted 1 day each and the other one week.

And I don't have a feeling of freedom I am free. The saying Freedom is not Free, is wrong. To me freedom means being able to do what I want to to all the tie. I only work when I want to. I live outdoors 275 days a year on average hiking and bike touring, every year since 1977. I am 57 been semi-retired since I was 21.

6:44 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

hello gary,
my annual tucson backpack(two weeks ago) this year took me up Esperero Canyon trail( from sabino canyon welcome center) to Bridal Veil Falls with 3-4" of snow about for the first night.

I rebuild the firering, cleaned things up and headed up trail to the saddle the 2nd day...

had talked to a day hiker at cardiac gap the day before who told me about 3 feet drifts of snow up on window peak, my route planned. I was planned/packed for Arizona hike not a new hampshire hike! above the saddle to window peak I followed 2 sets of tracks in about 18" of snow...kicking steps into the snow like mountaineering, Ha! from saguaro to needing crampons!...but at the turn around the southwest corner of window peak the sun had melted the snow on that corner of the trail and I could see where the dayhiker had gone straight in the snow and turned around...he was only .1 mile from the window! the approach to the Window is on the north side of the fin. that houses the "Window" arch, so is was filled with a foot of snow and winddDyyy! made it to the window for some video and hammock camped off-trail on eastern switches (where the sun was still just there) that began the descent in to Ventana canyon around 6300'. 

And hiked out Ventana to Maiden Pools & out the third day. Great hike. snowfall the wednesday before made it adventurous.  

7:01 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I have done the Esperero canyon hike but from Hutches Pool in upper Sabino Canyon to Romero Pass then back and up to Cathedral Pass and down to Sabino. The Cat Claw scratched the hell out of me!

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply