Northup Canyon, Easter

2:53 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Northup Canyon is a rare forested area of our county of farms and sagebrush.  We took an Easter day hike to an old homestead and wagon trail for some exploring.

IMG_0307.jpg

Tress like these are not common to our area and make it a treat for the kids.

IMG_0312.jpg

Climbing and scrambling abound but we only hiked this day.

IMG_0310.jpg

The aptly named Gibraltar Rock, near the TH.  I wrote a TR about it last Summer.

IMG_0305.jpg

Can anyone ID this critter? It sprayed an amber liquid when I handled it.

IMG_0262.jpg

The old homestead.  The homesteaders were carried away I believe, by the ticks.  Each dog we brought gained a pound from them.  A worse situation for the chihuahua than the mastiff. This despite recent tick treatments.

Lucky for me I stuck to the trails and wore shorts and sandals so the ticks were easier to pick off.

IMG_0259.jpg

The snakes are awake.  The first child in line woke one up, the second set it to buzzing and the third called to Dad.  It was very deep under a rock pile when I got to it so we gave it some space. Just another day for us, we see a lot of them.

IMG_0255.jpg

Look out for rusty nails!

Can you spot both dogs in this pic? A well camouflaged, brindle mastiff can give you quite a surprise coming out of the bushes...so I hear.

The trees here haven't even budded yet and its already in the low seventy degree range, unheard of for Easter in thee parts.

I am not summer-ready yet.  For this four mile flat hike I drank 48oz of water!  It is going to be an interesting summer.

Jeff

7:49 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Where is this Northup Canyon place?

11:00 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

North Central Washington, near Banks Lake.

11:41 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Nice report Jeff! Your pictures are great and I always get a boost from the family reports. 

To me, you are fully quailified as a "cool dad". lol, not that such should be a goal for you...but in case you were wondering: now you know. :)

11:48 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

I try really hard to be a good dad, I covet your compliment Patman.

12:18 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Wish I could get my 19 year old daughter to go hiking/camping!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply