Northup Canyon, Easter

2:53 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
4,656 reviewer rep
1,381 forum posts

Northup Canyon is a rare forested area of our county of farms and sagebrush.  We took an Easter day hike to an old homestead and wagon trail for some exploring.

Tress like these are not common to our area and make it a treat for the kids.

Climbing and scrambling abound but we only hiked this day.

The aptly named Gibraltar Rock, near the TH.  I wrote a TR about it last Summer.

Can anyone ID this critter? It sprayed an amber liquid when I handled it.

The old homestead.  The homesteaders were carried away I believe, by the ticks.  Each dog we brought gained a pound from them.  A worse situation for the chihuahua than the mastiff. This despite recent tick treatments.

Lucky for me I stuck to the trails and wore shorts and sandals so the ticks were easier to pick off.

The snakes are awake.  The first child in line woke one up, the second set it to buzzing and the third called to Dad.  It was very deep under a rock pile when I got to it so we gave it some space. Just another day for us, we see a lot of them.

Look out for rusty nails!

Can you spot both dogs in this pic? A well camouflaged, brindle mastiff can give you quite a surprise coming out of the I hear.

The trees here haven't even budded yet and its already in the low seventy degree range, unheard of for Easter in thee parts.

I am not summer-ready yet.  For this four mile flat hike I drank 48oz of water!  It is going to be an interesting summer.

7:49 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
241 reviewer rep
4,780 forum posts

Where is this Northup Canyon place?

11:00 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
4,656 reviewer rep
1,381 forum posts

North Central Washington, near Banks Lake.

11:41 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
1,234 reviewer rep
1,583 forum posts

Nice report Jeff! Your pictures are great and I always get a boost from the family reports. 

To me, you are fully quailified as a "cool dad". lol, not that such should be a goal for you...but in case you were wondering: now you know. :)

11:48 a.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
4,656 reviewer rep
1,381 forum posts

I try really hard to be a good dad, I covet your compliment Patman.

12:18 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
241 reviewer rep
4,780 forum posts

Wish I could get my 19 year old daughter to go hiking/camping!

December 1, 2015
Quick Reply